In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Model 19 NRA- SAVAGE- .22

woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Member Posts: 5,378 ✭✭
edited October 2001 in Ask the Experts
I have a model 19 NRA , was hoping for some help with a couple problems.1) The windage adjustment on the rear sight is completely worn out, You can rock the rear apperature back and forth about .030"Was there ever a aftermarket rear sight of better quality available that will use the origional screw holes?2) there is a blanked off screw hole about 2 inches in front of the ejection port on top of the barrel. Could this be a sign of a factory optional scope mount?3) the magazine backs out of the well on about the third shot. Will a new magazine correct this or do I need to look internaly?Thanks in advance for any help.

Comments

• Options
    218Beekeep218Beekeep Member Posts: 3,033
    edited November -1
    Let me think...oh yes,I happen to have several M-23s, same rifle,let me look,be right back..218
  • Options
    218Beekeep218Beekeep Member Posts: 3,033
    edited November -1
    Do you have the Savage micromiter peep sight?,it mounts on top, and canalevers back.All of mine are tapped on top,but some are side tapped for the Lyman receiver sight,I forget what #.Is yours side tapped,about 3/4 inch apart?and is the stock notched out there,below the holes?.218
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have the 2 side holes but they have screw blanks in them & the stock isn't cut for a side mounted scope. I assume this is the origional micrometer sight. It's holes are in the top of the barrel 1 inch apart just above the side holes you mention. The adjustment is by screws NO click adj. Also no screws to lock it in place when adjusted. The gun still has 90% of its origional blue and the sight's blueing matches. The only markings on the sight are yards and windage. nothing else. Thanks again
  • Options
    Dancing BearDancing Bear Member Posts: 45
    edited November -1
    I'm not certain, but I believe The Savage 416 used the same sights, pretty much the same gun, as the 19NRA. Gunparts has parts listed for the sights.Some of these rifles were tapped for Lyman/Unertl scope mounts.DB http://www.gunpartscorp.com
    The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs.[This message has been edited by Dancing Bear (edited 10-20-2001).]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the information, I should have thought of Gun Parts.. I might try finding a Lyman scope mount, this gun seems pretty accurate, but it's worthless with the sight in this conditionWOODS
  • Options
    j2k22j2k22 Member Posts: 329 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    the Stevens 416 sights are not the same as the Savage M19. There were 2 different sights that I am aware of that mount on the top of the M19 receiver. The better of the two was mentioned above; a Lyman (19Y ? ) that uses 2 screw holes, and cantilevers back behind the end of the receiver: this one has micrometer adjustments for windage and elevation. The other sight is a very small and cheap-looking stamped affair, which is dovetailed into the receiver. It has crude elevation adjustment; windage is done by drifting the sight. I have one of these on a 19NRA, and it works surprisingly well for its' crude construction. I have the Lyman style in 2 models 19/33, and those are both tackdrivers. Magazines for the 19 NRA are hard to come by. There are replacements sold thru GunParts etc, but they often need to have the catch slot refiled before the mag fits. Originals do show up on various auction sites. The models 19/33 and 23AA use a curved 6 round mag which is more plentiful, and available as a replacement from Brownells or GunParts. The Stevens 416 will also take this mag.