In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

mak-90 ak

moses25moses25 Member Posts: 47 ✭✭
edited October 2001 in Ask the Experts
i was thinking of purchasing a mak-90 pre-ban..not that it makes much difference to me...for around $615...seems the price is too high for me for that particular rifle...any thoughts on the matter...also ...is this ak worth buying..or should i wait to find on with a milled reciever like the bulgarian???? i want the rifle to be accurate at least between 200-300yards...thanks....

Comments

• Options
    lrarmsxlrarmsx Member Posts: 791 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    $615 is $150-250 too high. They are available between $400-525, new. Used ones should be even less than that.There is no such thing as a pre-ban MAK 90.All the MAK 90's came in after the 1989 ban. The 1994 Crime Bill (SEPT 13th) had no effect on the MAK 90's. All the MAK 90's were stopped from importation after the executive order by Clinton on May 28th, 1994.The majority of the AK's will shoot well enough at the ranges you mention. Yes the Bulgarians are better and you should be able to get one of those for about the $600-700 range or less. I wouldn't drop $615 into a MAK 90 if I were you. As for buying an AK in general, go for it. They are lots of fun. SAR's are available cheaper and should perform just as well for the most part.
  • Options
    Dana DeanDana Dean Member Posts: 66 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    moses25,I have a new SAR1 in 7.62/39 and it functions well.Was right on target from factory.As far as accucracy is concerned,and I`ve only tried wolf,but my gun will put the 1st 3 in 2in@ 50yd.The next 2 or more from the same group open up to a 4or 5 in group.That means a 12in to30in@ 300yd.Not really a tack driver,is it.Iramsx correct me if I`m wrong,but isn`t the milled models couple lbs. heavier?Mine weighs 7lb.They had a great looking used Mak 90 sitting beside my Sar-1 for the same $399,I wish I`d tried it instead.DD
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Milled receivers are heavier, but not by multiple pounds.
  • Options
    oneshyoneshy Member Posts: 417
    edited November -1
    Even $400 is too much. As stated AK's are not tack drivers, but fun,and cheap to shoot. SOG [southern ohio gun international] has the Russian Izhmash snub-nose model w/30 rd. mag for $350. See it on their web site. I've recently seen the Romanian for $325. I believe the Bulgarians are about the same.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    SOG has advertised, but doesn't have the Russian version (they're still waiting) and they are out of the SAR-1. This is as of earlier this week.
  • Options
    beantolebeantole Member Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Federal Ams has also advertised the RussianAK but they also do noy have any in stock yet.Kinda p*sses me off that they advertise products they do not have. OBTW, I think the Chinese Mak 90 is a very good gun for the price. The barrel is thicker, threaded and better quality than the SARs that I've see.
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have the MAADI and it touches bullets at 50 yds. The milled receiver is better but one thing must be taken into consideration,... these were originally intended for the higher pressures and heat associated with full auto capability. The semi-auto ak type weapon will perform for years with a stamped receiver and never have a problem. The internal design is so simple that the receiver is releived of a lot of the pressures that other designs have to endure. For 200-300 yds however, I would strongly recomend a milled reciever SKS. The longer barrel will provide higher muzzle velocities and greater accuracy at distance. My russian will group it's proverbial butt off at 200 and 300, for what it is anyway.
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I almost forgot, check the Center Fire Systems catalogue for ammo and spare parts. Wolf hollow points and FMJ for $80/case of 1000 rnds. spare trigger groups, magazines, gas tubes, stocks etc etc etc. great prices.