In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Help in choosing a bipod

Mark IIMark II Member Posts: 247 ✭✭✭
edited October 2001 in Ask the Experts
I have two Remington 700 rifles that I want to install bipods on. My question is, which bipod is better for A)benchrest/sighting in, and B)a hunting trip in the Rockies, which is what the rifles were purchased for. My choices, as I see them, are Harris and Versa-Pod. Or, should I get one of each?

Comments

• Options
    idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've never used a Versa-Pod but the Harris bi-pods I've used were excellent. I love em and I don't plan on changing. Why fix somthing that isn't broken?
  • Options
    compgunfirecompgunfire Member Posts: 95 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I used to use Harris bipods, but I've switched to the "Versa-Pod" system. I find that I have more flexability in quick change from Model #2 (bench rest) to Model #3 (sitting position) in the field. Can use one bipod with several different weapons, each one only has to have a "VP" base installed.
  • Options
    Mark IIMark II Member Posts: 247 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Where and for how much can the extra bases be purchased? Is this the reason I see the versa-Pod on the Les Baer Custom Rifles he advertises?
    "To meet with ill fortune is to meet with good fortune. To meet with submission is to meet an enemy."
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I can't remember who had the deal, but someone was selling the"VP" bipod with one extra mount included. The AR adapter runs about $ 9 - 12 dollars.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I can't remember who had the deal, but someone was selling the "VP" bipod with one extra mount included. The AR adapter runs about $ 9 - 12 dollars.
  • Options
    smooth_operatorsmooth_operator Member Posts: 227 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    CABELLA'S was selling them not too long ago with the extra mount.BTW, Aren't the Harris' bipods just as easily removed by turning the screw loose?-Smooth
    Life is the leading cause of death.Everything else is just a contributing factor.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    On the versa-pod, you just press and release the bipod on/off of the mount stud. No screws, no holding the bipod while you tighten everything back down.
  • Options
    kimberkidkimberkid Member Posts: 8,857 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    For the bench I perfer the Harris 6-9" BR model,for the field the Versa-Pod ... in the field, terrain usually isn't flat like like a bench, the legs are stiffer and the Bi-Pod povits on the mount giving much more versitility ... hence the name.On the bench, 6" is plenty high enough ... for me 9" is way too much. The non-poviting harris is a much more stable platform.In my mind both are great but have different objectives, so they have different uses ... buy both ... after all, who says you can only have one or the other? This is America!
    GUN CONTROL: If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention!kimberkid@gunbroker.zzn.com
    If you really desire something, you'll find a way ?
    ? otherwise, you'll find an excuse.
  • Options
    The ButcherThe Butcher Member Posts: 160 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I own 2 Harris, and I love them. I use one for Hog shooting, it is the 6-9" model. And I have the 13-23" model, I use when hunting. Both are swivel models. The 23" model is perfect for sitting and shooting, but you are still low enough if you have to get into the prone. I have heard good things about the versa pod, but have never used one.
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use the Harris 13-23" for whitetail and hog. This one can be used sitting indian style on the ground with a great deal of comfort. As for sighting in, don't use either one. Get yourself an Uncle Buds 15" bull bag and a set of rear rabbit ears. This will cradle your rifle beautifully and allow you to concentrate on something other than steadying the crosshairs. This is the way to shoot off the bench. I can't use bipods for benching the rifle. I use the bull bag for crop damage shooting out to 500yds. they are heavy but let's face it, your not running through the woods chasing things if you are sighting or just plain paper killin.