In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Remington or Winchester Rifle Ammo. Which is best

VaughnVaughn Member Posts: 9 ✭✭
edited October 2001 in Ask the Experts
I have a .270 for whitetail here in michigan, that means 100yard shots or less (usually less) I am looking for the fastest expanding bullet from either Winchester or Remington. I know what they have but many they say are for whitetail and thin skin game. But, at 150grs at 2900fps with 2400fpe, will they expand or just blow through. Any experience and real life scenarios with info. is appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    OrphanedcowboyOrphanedcowboy Member Posts: 351 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have used both, I dislike the Remington for accruacy reasons, and I like the Winchester Supreme line, especially the soft points, I have killed whitetail in the 50 yd range with both and out to 150 yds. I switched to Hornady Light Magnums in both my 30-06 and .308, because I wanted a bullet that was accurate and efficient out to 300 yds. I have never had a bullet go all the way thru an animal, closest I came was with the LM's when I shot a deer looking directly at me, I shot him in between the front shoulders and the bullet broke every rib on his left side, and came to rest under the hide inside of his left rear leg. I have recovered every bullet I ever placed in an animal, and have I put each one up and studied them, the shot, the distance, the animal, and every time I come to the same conclusion, The Hornady's LM with 150 grain SST's are the only ammo I'll buy, PERIOD.Whether it was hogs, deer, or any animal I am hunting I'll only use the Hornady's. But to answer your question for fast expansion use the poitned soft points or the like, excellent expansion and retained bullet weight.
    Orphanedcowboy@msn.com
  • Options
    DaRoostaDaRoosta Member Posts: 270 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm kind of lost as to whether you're referring directly to the actual projectile, grain, or what. To answer your question the way I am interpreting it, many people like the Nosler Partitions in Remington factory ammo. Good expansion and good retention. Seems to be a good overall round. In my 30-06, I shoot Remington Premier Safari Grade 180's in Swift A-Frame. The expansion is 2x caliber with 95% weight retention. I really like Federal better than either Rem or Win, but my 06 seems to like the Remington ammo, so that's what I use. Federal is the brand of choice in my other hunting rifles.As far as going through game, if you hit it in the vitals, there isn't much of a chance that you can put any factory ammo from a .270 clean through a whitetail. I guess maybe if you're sitting on it's back with a rope tied around it's neck it could be done.By the way, why do you ask? 2900 fps with 2400 fpe is good, but my 06 does the same thing and I'm not worried about it for the little blacktails we hunt down here. Hit 'em where it counts and you're good to go.
  • Options
    DENWADENWA Member Posts: 390 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    1. FEDERALthen remington then maybe winchester30-06 with 5 shots of winchester 180gr did not bring down a 310lb boar hog. Tracked him for an hour till he bled out. I was so pissed that I will never use winchesters again. I recovered four bullets, one went completly through.Now I used federals mostly and remingtons for practice. BTW the last time I shoot a hog in the vitals! from now on I go for shoulders and let that bullet break his bones.[This message has been edited by DENWA (edited 10-18-2001).]
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,964 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Which ever groups best with your particualr rifle. for me that is usually Federal, though I shoot a fair amount of Hornady Light Magnums in lighter calibers as well. Buy a few boxes of different cartridges by several makers which have suitable bullets for your purposes, whether hunting or punching paper. When you have three shots in the ten ring that is the cartridge you want.
  • Options
    roundballroundball Member Posts: 75 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    My Experiences:I only use Remington and Marlin centerfire rifles, and all of them shoot Remington ammo more accurately than Winchesters;.264 Win Mag, .30-30, .35Rem, & .30-06
  • Options
    ghotie_thumperghotie_thumper Member Posts: 1,561 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree with denwa, don't rule out federal. My 3006 shoots very good with plain Federal Classic 150 grain loads. You should try out one of their loads in your 270 as well as Remington and Winchester.
  • Options
    roundballroundball Member Posts: 75 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I also agree with the posts about Federal being the best 1st choice...I simpy answered your question as it was framed regarding Remington vs. Winchester;And when buying once fired brass for reloading, I also try to find & buy Federal 1st, then Remington, then Winchester...
  • Options
    gunnutgunnut Member Posts: 724 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I can say that with my favorite "deer" rifle being a 6mm Remington it just loves Hornaday custom 100gr soft points, the green box rem's it hates however as of late its getting hard to find the Hornady Customs around here. Anyone know of a good source as I plan to purchase a case if I can find them.
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    first of all, no one bullet is better than another if it doesn't group well. Spend time at the bench to determine what YOUR gun wants. Every gun has a "personality" and you have to figure that out. Shoot some of everything and you will fin the one that it likes the best. Whitetail are thin skinned and not particularly hard to "harvest". A 270 will do just fine no matter what at 100yds with anything. Don't forget about the Remington Core-lokt bullets. They are cheap and expand very well.
  • Options
    cpermdcpermd Member Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1