In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Which choke do I use for slugs or buckshot ?

jujujuju Member Posts: 6,321
edited October 2001 in Ask the Experts
I have a shotgun 12ga which has screw in chokes. Which one do I use for shooting slugs and buckshot. I was told that shooting them without a choke in the gun will ruin the threads in the barrel and I am not sure what will happen if I shoot them with the wrong choke in the barrel.Any help or guidance is greatly appreciated.Thanks

Comments

• Options
    clhessclhess Member Posts: 16 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use IC for slugs and full for buckshot.
  • Options
    steve45steve45 Member Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You can shoot slugs or buckshot through any normal choke without problem. I'm not sure about specialized ultra tight chokes used for hunting turkeys. I've always heard that the more open chokes or cylinder bore is the most accurate.
  • Options
    jujujuju Member Posts: 6,321
    edited November -1
    I really appreciate the info. I have held off shooting my new over/under rifle shotgun combo for fear of f***ing up the barrel. This forum is the best for quick accurate info. Once again,Thanks
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    all chokes will work, likewise I am not sure about super full turkey chokes though. We walk the marsh for Sika deer and I usually use full. All you really need to do is a pattern test with an old piece of cardboard placed at the distance you may be shooting with each of your chokes. I can't get IC or the lighter chokes to group well enough to use them. I want pattern concentration when I shoot, losing an animal sucks. This is of course relating to buckshot. I LOVE BUCKSHOT!!!
  • Options
    NEEDCOLDNEEDCOLD Member Posts: 134 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Any choke will work, but it will depend on the gun and the load. For buckshot, your best bet is to use IC or Cyl. Pattern the load you plan to use, as the tighter the choke the more deformity of the pellets, therefore resulting in a more erratic pattern.For slugs, if you have a smooth bore gun, then just use 'Foster type' or Brenneke slugs. And the choke will not matter very much (but I'd prefer a Mod. as the tightest).To use sabots in smoothbores is almost foolish, as there is no way to accurize the round.If you have a rifled barrel, then sabots are the way to go.And make sure you have the 3 shot plug out to save you the trouble in the woods.