In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

sks "detachable clip"

moses25moses25 Member Posts: 47 ✭✭
edited October 2001 in Ask the Experts
i'm a novice seeking some answers....i recently purchased a russian sks and as far as i knew there was only one way to load it and one type of clip. i now hear of "detachable" mags in hi-cap that are available....does this mean that i would be able to change clips like on an AK? sorry if this is a stupid question...but i have nowhere else to ask.....

Comments

• Options
    boeboeboeboe Member Posts: 3,331
    edited November -1
    Aside from the SKS that takes AK mags, they made after market SKS detatchable magazines prior to the ban. The legality of the simple modification it takes to make the SKS accept these magazines is very questionable. There was a time it was legal to use the detatchable mags on the SKS provided the bayonet lug had been removed. I doubt it is legal to modify them in that manner now. Besides, for the most part, the detatchable after market mags are prone to jamming and very difficult to lock up. They are not nearly as easy to lock-up as the SKS that takes the AK mags. The standard box magazine on the standard SKS is much superior to the detatchable mags, IMHO. Following is a good site for information on SKS modifications that are legal, and those that are not. http://www.recguns.com/IIH2.html
  • Options
    king999king999 Member Posts: 450 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Dear Moses, Congrats on your aquisition of a delightful rifle. The 10 rd capacity of the original fixed mag should be more than adequate for any reasonable condition. It can be loaded one at a time WITHOUT any strippers or with the ten rouunder that is used with either SKS or AK. I have lots of strippers, but usually load without them. I live in a "free" state wher I can make any mod I want to, but have noticed that the modifications to ad firepower do little other than cause problems. Use your rifle as is. It is great just as Simonov designed it. Morty
  • Options
    edited November -1
    thank you very much for your quick responses and good info...i have a feeling i will like this purchase...the ten round will probably due just fine...thanks again ....
  • Options
    duster68duster68 Member Posts: 228 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Echoing King's comments, you'll enjoy your SKS much more if you use it in it's stock configuration. Resist the temptation to install the many after-market SKS accessories floating around. The flashhiders and mags. are just crap. I've wasted my money on all of this stuff and have always ended up putting all the stock stuff back on. The magazines were by far the worst. They are of poor quality, often requiring you to tweak the feed lips just to get them to feed and function properly. They often don't fit correctly. I had to file the wood on the inside of the mag. well just to get it to latch. They sure look nice sticking out of the gun, but are more pain then they are worth. Your gun, especially being Russian, will be an excellent shooter the way it is.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    thank you gentlemen....i will keep it just the way it is.....
  • Options
    just-shootjust-shoot Member Posts: 233
    edited November -1
    Any opinions on the aftermarket 20 rd non-detachable clip for the SKS. Do they function as well as the original 10 rd.
  • Options
    jltrentjltrent Member Posts: 9,218 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I took the 10 round fixed box mag off my sks and bought a couple 30 round duck billed mags and they work great in it. I put an extended mag release lever on it to make it a lot easier to pull back the mag lever. I can put the mag in it almost as fast as my AK or AR. With the 30 round mags I have yet to have any kind of jam with approx. 75 rounds. The mag release was $5.00 and the 30 round mags were $26.00 a piece. Also the bolt locks back with the detactable mags and just replace with another mag and turn it loose.
  • Options
    duster68duster68 Member Posts: 228 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Got one, Red Star Chinese. Looks like crap, workmanship is crude, took a lot of tweaking but finally got it to feed, function, and even to hold the bolt open after the last shot. Many of my detachables won't. You just never know with these mags. I got a few 30 rounders that worked right out of the box. Others, I've never gotten to work. sksman.com has 20-round fixed for $50.
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    moses25, Center Fire Systems or Cheaper Than Dirt both have detachable mags for about 20-25 bucks. Be carefull, russian guns use a slightly different flange on the back of the mag. Be sure to ask when ordering if it will fit the russian, the ones at CFS's do fit. Not as quick to change as the AK mags but much better than the factory way of reloading.