In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Wild dogs

Gene B.Gene B. Member Posts: 892 ✭✭✭✭
edited October 2001 in Ask the Experts
Ok my Grandpa owns about 240 acrs of land, and a few days ago some wild dogs came and tried to attack him, but hes scared them away. He wants me to hunt them down but not with a rifle because if I miss I might hit his cattle, so do you think a .40 Glock should kill them? He also said he saw a big cat and some hogs. Will the .40 do the trick?

Comments

• Options
    gap1916gap1916 Member Posts: 4,977
    edited November -1
    The .40 will kill a cow if you hit it in a vital spot. It will be just fine for the dogs and cat if the cat is not a Puma. If you are talking about the 300 pound plus hogs i would not us a .40. Just my 2 cents.
  • Options
    buddybbuddyb Member Posts: 5,253 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    12 gauge shotgun, #4 buckshot
  • Options
    25-0625-06 Member Posts: 466 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Convince Grandpa that you are safe with a rifle and use a small caliber like a 223 on the dogs and cat. A 308 or 12 gauge with slugs on the hogs. The 12 gauge with #4 buckshot is a good choice if you can get within 40 yards of the dogs or cat. I would leave the pistol at home. You might try setting up with two of you and using a coyote call (wounded cottontail) and calling the dogs and cat. Might also bring the hogs.
  • Options
    218Beekeep218Beekeep Member Posts: 3,033
    edited November -1
    Can I get in on this hunt???.218
    Will the last reb to leave flarda,please bring the flag?
  • Options
    OrphanedcowboyOrphanedcowboy Member Posts: 351 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Gene don't you live near FT Worth? I hunt coyotes and hogs for people who want them gone, I use a 7mm-08, and seems to do the trick, and had a hog run out of the brush at me about 3 months back, I had my rifle on my backpack, tied down, I used my Glock 31 in .357 sig, worked, but I speculate this was more chance than sheer skill, he came full on at me, I shot him right behind the right ear as he made a pass. Tell granddad your more likely to hit a cow with a pistol than a rifle, #1 you'll never get close enough to make a kill with the pistol, dogs, cat or hogs, and #2 you can remain stationary and call them to you, if your near FT Worth I have an electronic call, and I'd be glad to come help you, email me if you'd like. I love varmint hunting.......it's to much fun!
    Orphanedcowboy@msn.com
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    how good are you with you .22lr? a head shot on the dogs will do nicely. Hogs are another story, take something with power for them, I have seen them run 100-200yds after a lung shot from a 308. I will help also!!!use the rifle for the dogs as well, convince grandpa to allow you to bait the dogs away from the cattle, get some cold brew, sit back, and have a blast shooting over bait!!!
  • Options
    rballirballi Member Posts: 770 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The 40 will do it, but how close do you want to get to a pack of wild dogs? I don't know about you, but I can shoot a 40 out 20yds at max and keep it in the pie plate with a Glock 22. I will also agree to use a shotgun tube with no plug full of buckshot that will get you out to a good 40yd shot. 22 and 22Mag are good choices but can ricochet alot. Personally I would use a 357 carbine with semi jacketed bullets good and accurate out to 75 yards.
  • Options
    RobinRobin Member Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I love it, everybody has a workable solution. How about a .22wmr for the dogs coyotes? Just about anywhere will drop one. A good head or neck shot will drop any 300 lb. hog if you take the right shot (head or neck). Thats hunting! Sound like you have a good hunt lined up. If you happen to take out a cow, pay granpa and call your friends to a cook out of two! Wish I could go help. Robin
  • Options
    Matt45Matt45 Member Posts: 3,185
    edited November -1
    On my ole homestead, (185 Acres in NE WA) we had a .30 Cal M-1 Carbine in a scabbard on the ATV four-wheeler for Coyote and I would pack it or my lever action 30-30 when I was on the tractor.That .30 carbine really slapped them bad doggies down!
    Reserving my Right to Arm Bears!!!!