In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Hammer replacement on a S/W mdl 36?

tidemantideman Member Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭✭
edited October 2001 in Ask the Experts
How difficult is it to replace a broken hammer on a S/W model 36? I found one at a pawn shop that the guy says was dropped and landed on the hammer. From what I can tell that's all that's wrong with it. The price is $110. What a deal if I can fix it myself.Thanks for any infoTideman Don't shot to stop 'em....Shoot to destroy 'em!!!!

Comments

• Options
    compgunfirecompgunfire Member Posts: 95 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Heck, even if you have to send it to "S & W" for repair (tell'um you dropped it), how much more do you think you'd have to invest, $ 30-75. BUY IT.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Yep. It's obvious it was dropped and not ground off. I haven't even tried to bargain with the fellow. I might be able to get him to $75. I'm gonna' give it my best. The rest of the 36 looks good. Thanks guys.Tideman"Don't shoot to stop...Shoot to destroy!"
  • Options
    AntiqueDrAntiqueDr Member Posts: 691 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    3 minute job.
    We buy, sell and trade quality guns and scopes!Ask us about Shepherd Scopes!Visit our website at www.ApaxEnterprises.com
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Buy the gun. Used hammers are available inexpensively.Hammer replacement is easy if you are careful.
  • Options
    nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,018 ******
    edited November -1
    If you don't buy it, I will, sight unseen. I have a few hammers in the parts bin.Replacement is easy. Unload gun. Remove grips. Remove sideplate screws. Hold gun in one hand with the sideplate facing up. Tap the grip frame with a WOODEN tool handle lightly until the sideplate loosens. Remove sideplate and then the hammer block. Look at the hammer, mainspring and mainspring strut. There is a hole in the strut toward the bottom. Cock the hammer and you can see it. Stick a punch or a paper clip in the hole. Slowly decock the hammer. The mainspring assembly can then be lifted out of the frame. Now cock the hammer again. Hold it back and pull the trigger to disengage the sear. Slide the hammer off its stud. Replace with an identical hammer. It is good if you have several replacement hammers available, since dimensions can vary, and one may not fit.Reassembly is, as they say, in reverse order. Make sure the hammer block is aligned with its slot in the sideplate when replacing the sideplate.If the current hammer isn't too buggered up, maybe you can just grind the spur off real neat and have a de-horned Chief.
    Certified SIG pistol armorer/FFL Dealer/Full time Peace Officer, Moderator of the General Discussion Board on Gunbroker. Visit www.gunbroker.com, the premier gun auction site on the Net! Email davidnunn@texoma.net Jesus is Lord!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    A dehorned Chief. Now that's cool! Thanks, Nunn. I'm on my way to the pawn shop and I'll keep ya' posted on this little projects progress.Tideman "Don't shoot to stop...Shoot to Destroy".