In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Some questions on the Sar1

DarDar Member Posts: 9 ✭✭
edited October 2001 in Ask the Experts
I am thinking of putting a muzzle break on my Sar 1. Now I read somewhere else that I should get an American muzzle break because it evens out on the gun part count. Is that true? and which break would be the best? Any guide on where I could find it? I'm not too familiar about this subject.I'm also thinking of buying a full set of AK wood parts from ironwood. How does that complicate my count? Still trying to learn the basics. Thanks!Dar

Comments

• Options
    luger01luger01 Member Posts: 230 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Dar,I am not up one this "American parts count" BS that the Clinton era usherd in, but you might want to check out the breaks that Enterprise Arms sells. They have screw on and set screw type mounts for most military type rifles and I've used a couple with total satisfaction.Warning, if you use a set screw type muzzle break, you do need to mill out indents in the barrel for the screws and use locktite on the set screw threads. Having a break come loose while firing can be deadly. I had one come off - fortunately it went down range and no one got hurt. I had just screwed the set screws really tight and had locktite on the threads. The dang thing still worked loose.
  • Options
    lrarmsxlrarmsx Member Posts: 791 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Be aware that a number of the muzzle brakes were originally designed for the Chinese MAK's and need machining of either the gun or the brake to attach properly. The cleaning rod retaining assembly is in the way on the SAR's for at least some of the muzzle brakes.