In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Hunting handloads.

gary50gary50 Member Posts: 47 ✭✭
edited September 2002 in Ask the Experts
What are good loads for a .44 mag and 30-30 for deer hunting. The .44 mag is used in a desert eagle and the 30-30 is a win 94.

Comments

• Options
    NighthawkNighthawk Member Posts: 12,022 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When I use a 30-30 to hunt with I always use 150gr soft points.I will use a 30-30 if the weather is bad and have harvested alot of Whitetails with it.As far as the 44Magnum Ive used a handgun to hunt with and 240gr HPs seem to work well.

Best!!!

Rugster

Toujours Pret
  • Options
    poshposh Member Posts: 360 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I raised this question about the 44 mag a while back and the most popular load was the 240 gr Hornady XTP bullet ahead of 22 to 24 gr of 296 powder. The Speer manual specifies a magnum primer with this powder. I'm setting up to do this load for deer right now. I quit reloading 30-30 so many years ago that I've forgotten the load except that I know the bullet was a 170 gr Speer flat point because I still use the box the last batch came in. My old manual shows 30 gr of 3031 powder with this bullet. Now I just wait for 30-30 to go on sale for around 8 dollars a box.
  • Options
    Shooter MacShooter Mac Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I get good results for my Winchester 94 .30-30 reloading Sierra flat nose, 150 grain boat tail spitzer bullets. I use 31.5 grains of IMR 4064 powder. That has the bullet travelling at 2100 fps. This is comparably better than factory loads that only move around 17-1800 fps

Shooter Mac
  • Options
    bullhaulerbullhauler Member Posts: 118 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You might want to try the 30-30 starfire offered by pmc. My son shoots them in his crackbarrel. Very accurate. He consistantly shoots right at moa groups(1.152 is his best). Hasn't killed a deer yet but i have heard they are pretty devastating when you hit them right.

welcome to America...now speak english or get the ****out