In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

need serious help

Mr.badwrenchMr.badwrench Member Posts: 15 ✭✭
edited December 2004 in Ask the Experts
My ruger 10/22 has quit cycling, and firing off and on. Ive cleaned it thoroughly, and checked the extractor for build up. Still shooting it is hit or miss. Maybe there is something that ive over looked.

Comments

• Options
    TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Have you removed the bolt for a good cleaning? Does it do it with different brands of ammo? Check for lead and powder build up around the breech end of the barrel.

7_2_120.gif
    "Aim small, Miss small"
  • Options
    SunraySunray Member Posts: 773 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What ammo?
    "...quit cycling, and firing off and on..." Please define this.
  • Options
    Mr.badwrenchMr.badwrench Member Posts: 15 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The gun only shoots half the time , case in point me and a friend were shooting field quail, for fun, and it only shoots half the time. sometimes i would half to take the bullet out 3 or 4 times and reload the round into the breech. The case is getting punched but won't fire. Or it won't eject.

Quote: Better to have it and not need it that to need it and not have it.
  • Options
    gunnut505gunnut505 Member Posts: 10,290
    edited November -1
    Sounds like a buildup of crap alongside the firing pin and possibly a poorly reinstalled recoil spring or low velocity ammo and a damaged firing pin tip from dry firing.

"Qui non est hodie cras minus aptus erit" --OVID
  • Options
    dahmerdahmer Member Posts: 290 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Did you posssibly ad an aftermarket trigger with a defined length of travel?

They that are willing to give up their liberty for a little safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin.
  • Options
    HKmanHKman Member Posts: 291 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sounds like the ammo to me,
    did'nt you say the case is getting punched. If it is sufficiently dented, then it sounds like you need to try some different ammo, it might be old ammo.

If the primer is not getting punched deep enough then like gunnut said, you might have some buildup. If you don't want to dissassemble the bolt, spray it with break free, let it sit for about 5 minutes, scrub it with an old toothbrush then rinse it with hot water(with good pressure) dry immediately, then scrub again with break free or gun oil.

This should work, unless its a damaged or short fireing pin.

best of luck to you badwrench!

"There are those who make things happen, those that watch things happen and those that say, what happend?"

AC Tactical
  • Options
    LDThorntonLDThornton Member Posts: 33 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had an old Remington Nylon 66 that would do that. I eventually figured out that the firing pin had worn down. I would then take the firing pin out and lay it on an anvil and give it a couple of good smacks with a heavy hammer on the end that hits the bullet casing. Back then parts were hard to find....lol

So many auctions so little money.
  • Options
    39ford39ford Member Posts: 93 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    It has already been said that it may be dirty inside is this somthing that happend all at once? Have you just installed a scope or reajusted the mounting screws?If the mounting screws are either too long or seated too deaply the bolt will not funtion.It should also be said that a complete disasimbly is extremly easy to do.check out www.rimfirecentral.com

hope this helps
  • Options
    Mr GeeMr Gee Member Posts: 429 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    your question indicates Ammo as the problem , except you did not mention whether your friends gun reacted the same as well...?
    second how many rounds has that gun fired...as the chamber itself can be eroded [over-sized]. just a couple more ideas ...all the helpful hints here should be looked into as well ....all good
    good luck ... let us know how you make out. 'interested'

My ruger 10/22 has quit cycling, and firing off and on. Ive cleaned it thoroughly, and checked the extractor for build up. Still shooting it is hit or miss.
    Maybe there is something that ive over looked.

The gun only shoots half the time , case in point me and a friend were shooting field quail, for fun, and it only shoots half the time. sometimes i would half to take the bullet out 3 or 4 times and reload the round into the breech. The case is getting punched but won't fire. Or it won't eject.

confused....but learning
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,951 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:The case is getting punched but won't fire

That sounds like either bad ammo, or if the "punch" is very faint either the firing pin is too short or the spring too weak. Easy to replace the spring and pin for that matter. Also check to see if something is impeding the pin so that you do not get the full punch. They are really easy to take apart and work on.
  • Options
    buddybbuddyb Member Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree,bad ammo.