In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Browning BPS, Bennelli Nova, or Ithica?

Sparty_76Sparty_76 Member Posts: 714 ✭✭
edited January 2005 in Ask the Experts
I have three shotguns, an old Knickerbocher side by side, a 870 2.75" (34 years old), and a new Bennelli Left handed M-1. All in 12 ga but none in 3.5". I love all three! I do some upland game hunting,a little sporting clays, and some trap. I can't hit clay birds worth a dran with my M-1 but have knocked down every live bird I've seen with it. I was thinking my next shotgun should be a 3.5" for Turkeys. Would the Browning BPS be a good choice? Are they good guns compared to my 870? I shoot left handed and did not want to mess with with another "left handed model. Also does the Bennelli Nova stack up (is it made in Left handed?)? Does Ithica still make a good pump that is bottom feed and eject and is it any good? I think it use to be a Model 37?
If I get the tumbs down I'm going to an 870 LH 3.5"! Need to stay in the $400 range.
I do not have the budget for it, or I would buy a Super Black Eagle in 3.5".
Thanks!

Fitz

Comments

• nralifersnralifers Member Posts: 21 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    you will never go wrong with the Benelli name. I agree super black eagle would be the choice---I personally would save money (don't buy a gun for a while) and go for SBE. However, if you don't want to do that go Nova. Benelli led the way in the 3.5" race and is still leading. The only bad part about Benelli now is that Beretta is the owner---that is good in all respects excxept that if you want accessories (slug barrel for example) you might as well make one yourself! Beretta has dropped the ball on making customers first. The Nova is still made of quality and the price is almost unbelievable--camo version it think goes for about 325. just my opinion!
  • hadjiihadjii Member Posts: 976 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have owned all 3 you speak of, and boy, that Benelli Nova is an awesome gun. It comes up like a dream, and shoots as well. I like the magazine lock where you can put in a different load in the chamber without fussing with the magazine. The bad side to the Nova isn't with the gun but the company who owns them. Customer service sucks, and forget about buying any optional barrels, especially a slug barrel. The Browning is also good. It looks good, feels good, and southpaws can shoot it the same as right handed people. They may be a little spendy, but they're nice. The only bad thing about is Browning is three words,"MADE IN JAPAN', and I'll buy alot of things made in japan, and like it, but not a gun. I think the Ithaca's are real good also, and would be my 2nd choice behind the Nova, in spite of the lousy customer service.
  • PSFD DONKEYPSFD DONKEY Member Posts: 771 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I bought a Benelli Nova, other then the forend being a little noisy I can't think of another reason not to own one, as stated in another reply it pulls up nice and shoots just as well.
  • mrbrucemrbruce Member Posts: 3,374
    edited November -1
    Buy all AMERICAN from Ithaca Gun Company, they still make the 37 (again)
    and its a good one. Very well made, with lots of extra barrels, and super customer service.
    My new 3.5 Extrema don't kill crows any better than my old 37 can it just kicks a lot less.

Gun control is hitting what your aiming at.
  • moreammoplzmoreammoplz Member Posts: 463 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My Nova shoots great and is very tough. I also have a Browing BPS in 3 1/2, but it weighs a ton and hate to carry it. If you are looking for a cheap shotgun that works great for duck and turkeys try the Mossberg 835. I have seen used ones for $200 - $250. If you have an ffl. Check our www.whittakerguns.com out or Owensboro, KY. He is a Benelli dealer and carries new and used.
  • moreammoplzmoreammoplz Member Posts: 463 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My Nova shoots great and is very tough. I also have a Browing BPS in 3 1/2, but it weighs a ton and hate to carry it. If you are looking for a cheap shotgun that works great for duck and turkeys try the Mossberg 835. I have seen used ones for $200 - $250. If you have an ffl. Check our www.whittakerguns.com out or Owensboro, KY. He is a Benelli dealer and carries new and used.
  • BeeramidBeeramid Member, Moderator Posts: 7,264 ******
    edited November -1
    I love my Nova and wouldnt trade it for anything. Its one tough sucker, and can take anything you do to it and not miss a lick. I like it better then the 870(No rust with the Nova) and it feels way better then the BPS.

COOLBULLETS.jpg You are knuckle-dragging ape with a gun.
  • MN HunterMN Hunter Member Posts: 2,299 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    buy a benelli...like they say 'performance worth the price'. yes you pay more, but definetly worth it. i love my 3.5" SBE...incredibly light, very minimal recoil (even when shooting 3.5 T, BB etc etc). my 2 cents

"Not many like us, in fact very few, and most of them are dead" LtCol Pratt - USMC
  • bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,675 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'd sell the M1 and get the Benelli SBE. I've had mine for 11 years now and it will honestly be the very last firearm I ever sell. It is just too versatile!
    Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.
  • tatercatstatercats Member Posts: 711 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    definetely go with the ithaca. they are nice and light and with the eject being on the bottom of the reciever water and dirt and mud doesnt get into the action as easy as the eject on the side.