In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

AR15 BARREL RIFLING

SPYCIALOSTSPYCIALOST Member Posts: 6 ✭✭
edited February 2005 in Ask the Experts
Where can I find a AR15 barrel with a 1/14 inch rifling? The only reason I am looking for this rifling is that IT WAS THE ORIGINAL RIFLING THE M16 had before it became the M16A1 and so on.

This rifling DESTABILIZES the bullet-therefore more likely to TUMBLE-THEREFOR MORE EFFECTIVE. THIS WEAPON WILL BE USED FOR PERSONAL DEFENSE AND TARGET SHOOTING. IT WILL NOT BE USED ON GAME.

Comments

• Options
    bingeebobbingeebob Member Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    why? go with a 1/9 twist. you want to do target shooting you are going to want to be able to HIT the targets. right?
  • Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,976 ******
    edited November -1
    the original 1/14" twist would barely stabelize a 55 gn. FULL METAL JACKETED bullet. and after hitting its target would 'tumble' geatly increasing damage potential. the brit's did this same thing in ww2 by putting aluminum in the bullets nose thus getting araound the Geneva convention against "dum-dum bullets. most soft nose or hollow point bullets don't need this as they are designed to upset on impact anyway. I'm sure you could find a barrel (or some one to make one) easy enought but like b.b. said " you want to hit the target" first. so get a good bullet (not fmj) and forget about a 50 year old mistake.
  • Options
    MooseyardMooseyard Member Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Rock River makes a 1 in 14 barrel I think.

"My faith, my country and my family will guide me; nothing more, nothing less" -Gen. Tommy Franks

Jess Hoffman
    Mooseyard Precision
    LE Supply & Firearms
    NRA Certified Instructor
    Shawano, WI 54166
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    AR-15 barrels are available from Lothar Walther in 7, 8, 9, 10, 12, 14, 15 twist.

www.lothar-walther.com

email = lotharwalther@mindspring.com