In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Colt Lightning question

james marcuchijames marcuchi Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
edited March 2009 in Ask the Experts
I have a colt lightning rifle that was manufactured appox. 1895 serial number 76xxx in the 38-40 cal. My question is can anyone explain why this gun has a second serial number that has been stamped in two places, once in front of the colt serial number(just behind the trigger guard ) and also on the left side of the barrel just behind the slide, and just above the magazine.
The second number is 77xx. Any information will be appreciatied
Thank you ,
Jimmy

Comments

• Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Hello I have a number of medium frame colt lightning rifles none of mine have the serial number any where but on the lower tang between the screw tips that are visable. The closest serial I have to yours is 75699 My guess your extra serials were put there by someone other then COLT. Yours should be the style with large ejection port and a dust cover that moves with the bolt.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    "on the lower tang between the screw tips that are visable"
    That is exactly where the Colt serial number is on mine.
    "My guess your extra serials were put there by someone other then COLT"
    That is what I always figured ,but I was hoping to find someone who might know who the second party might have been.
    Jimmy
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My 38-40,s/n 86832, appears just once behind the trigger guard.
    The last four digits are also stamped inside the buttplate.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Bumping this thread, still hoping for information on this gun?
    Also just recently realized that the medium frame rifles were usually 26" this gun has a 24" barrel, were any made by colt in this length?
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Standard barrels were either round or Octagon and 26 inches long special order barrels were half round half Octagon any length from 18 - 32 inches long from this information I would say your barrel was cut However the Front magazine hanger is a very complex cut on the barrel Half moon shaped dovetail . Look at your barrel and see if it looks like this is an original MAGAZINE HANGER then remove it and look at the cut in the barrel it would take a very good machinist to go to the trouble to duplicate the factory set up . Also look a front sight and see if original . Hope this helps [:p]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the quick reply, first off my barrel is an Octagon,I don't think I mentioned that before.I haven't ever taken the magazine hanger off but it looks to be the orginal (as I have seen on other lightnings) although under a strong double magnifying glass the cut might not be as clean and well fit
    as the dovetails of the front and rear sights. The hanger also shows some distress that might have been the result of removing and reinstalling it. The front site is a replacement ,small blade with Pat Nov. 4,1902 stamped on one side of its base and a small set screw on the other . Also the front sight sits almost directly above the magazine hanger with the base of its dovetail only 7/32" from the end of the barrel. Rear sight is orginal ramp.