In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

M1A cleaning kit

82trooper82trooper Member Posts: 251 ✭✭✭
edited October 2009 in Ask the Experts
Can anyone tell me if the cleaning kit is actually supposed to fit into the buttstock on a M1A? I bought a "GI" cleaning kit complete with the rubberized pouch. How do the contents fit in the hole in the stock? I checked the manual, and it does notmention it. I tried to search the 'net for a photo, but seem to have come up empty. Anyone here know about such mysteries?

Thanks!
Mike

Comments

• mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,453 ******
    edited November -1
    There are two holes bored into the stock. The top hole contains the M14 combination tool with a chamber brush slipped into it and a platic oil bottle on the top. The lower hole accepts the sectional cleaning rod. There is a flap on the cleaning rod pouch, so make sure that when the cleaning rod is installed the flap remains exposed to allow you to grasp it and pull the rod out of the stock. Add a few .30 caliber cleaning patches to fill in any extra space and then close the trap on the stock.
  • givettegivette Member Posts: 10,886
    edited November -1
    Added info:
    After screwing the bore brush into the combination tool make sure the bore brush is pointing rearward..otherwise the bore brush (assuming USGI length) will bend when the combo tool hits the front end of the stock recess during recoil. Best, Joe
  • 82trooper82trooper Member Posts: 251 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thank you both for your input.
    Cheers!
    Mike