In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

It say's...ask the experts, soooooo

TwochannelmanTwochannelman Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
edited October 2009 in Ask the Experts
Hello folks, I'm new here and hope to find some friendly people that can help me. Hope I'm not angering anyone by this typical question. As I did some searches in auctions at Gun Broker I just couldn't find any matches current or completed. Maybe I did something wrong but regardless, I'm struggling so I thought to ask here.

The economy is kicking my butt to the point where I'm doing something I thought that I would never do and that is to start selling some of my guns. Breaks my heart but what can I do?

Know what I paid for it years back but I'm not so sure what it is worth now. Many years ago I bought brand spankin new a Colt .45 Series 80 MK IV Gold Cup Stainless Enhanced SN 12808E. She is a sweety and I cry at the thought of selling it. (didn't buy my guns to sell them but...) I'm not up on condition rating for guns but its an 8 or 9 out of 10 I reckon. I've run some rounds through it sure, but I really haven't shot it a whole hell of a lot.

Would any of you here have any ideas what this hand gun is worth? I would rather avoid paying an appraisal fee if I can. Thanks ahead for any input that you may have on this. [:)]

Comments

• cpermdcpermd Member Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Series 80 and the economy are drawbacks.
    If you have the box and paperwork I will say $800.

CP
  • badsbsnf81badsbsnf81 Member Posts: 768
    edited November -1
    Do you have the original box and papers?
    Do you have any accessories?

Without knowing those answers you are in the 500-700 range if you sell to an individual. Sell to a shop and you are in the 300-500 range. YMMV by location, time of year, how bad you need money, how bad someone wants it, etc..
  • TwochannelmanTwochannelman Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Wow fast guys thanks! I do have the blue plastic case and the original Colt cardboard box. The manual is in their too. Paper work? What other paper work might there be?

Accessories. I put some Hogue grips on it that's about all.
  • partisanpartisan Member Posts: 6,414
    edited November -1
    Welcome to the forum. IMO I believe "cpermd" is about right with his price of $800, especially with box and papers. At one time the Gold Cup was the king of the hill, then every gun maker in the world copied the 1911. Some were worse, but many were as good or better. The COLT name still carries weight with us old slab side lovers. Good luck on your sale, and hope you'll replace it as soon as the economy gets better.
  • partisanpartisan Member Posts: 6,414
    edited November -1
    The "paperwork" is what you have now. Owners manual,and maybe receipt where you can show you were the original owner. The Hogue grips are OK, but hope you held on to the original.
    edited November -1
    Thanks Partisan. Really strange that I was thinking to myself hopefully an 800 dollar range. Yea something about "Colt" pulls at my heart strings, always has. I just hate selling this but we are really in a bind.
    edited November -1
    Yup, I have the originate grips and I bet I have the receipt in my "Gun" file.
  • JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    the economy makes it a bad time to sell,..if you have something else other than a gun, I'd sell that first. Luxury items are severely depressed in their pricing during times like these.
  • dandak1dandak1 Member Posts: 450 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by partisan
    The COLT name still carries weight with us old slab side lovers.

And it carries weight with us old SAA lovers too!!