In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Best scope for my 308

ddhotbotddhotbot Member Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 2009 in Ask the Experts
i have 3 scopes in the closet which one is best for my 308 bolt rifle for hunting? bushnell legend 4x12x40, browning (bushnell 3200) 3x9x40 or a new model simmons aetec 4x14x44?

Comments

• bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,669 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sell them all and go buy a Burris Signature or Black Diamond, put it into Burris Signature rings and NEVER regret it.
  • dft88dft88 Member Posts: 48 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a 3200 on my 308. does very well.
  • 2xbyu2xbyu Member Posts: 298 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Of the 3, I would use the 3-9X40, put it on 4X and go hunting.
  • beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree with bpost. Trade the three unused mediocre scopes for one excellent one.

But to answer the question, truthfully, I don't think its going to make all that much of a difference between the three you've mentioned.

For hunting the 3-9x scope is probably best since it has the lowest power.

For long distance shooting, you might appreciate the 14x.
  • jcc7x7jcc7x7 Member Posts: 55 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I used 4x for years and did just fine. So obviously any will work.
    Simpleist but most time consuming would be to mount each scope and see how they balance and how your eye lines up with them etc. You don't have to hard mount them just tighting stuff lightly to see how the balance is and them try for the most comfortable head/eye alignment with the ones that balance well on the rifle.
  • rsnyder55rsnyder55 Member Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I know you don't have one, but I favor a variable 1.5x4 for 1.5x6 power scope on my 308's. The lower power really helps for closer ranges.
  • quickmajikquickmajik Member Posts: 15,576 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    +1

i'd get a burris euro dimond (or similar) 1-4 or 1.5-6 but thats just personal preferance based on the hunting around here..

Out of the three you mentioned I'd pick the bushnell 3200, over all others. Easy choice.
  • CS8161CS8161 Member Posts: 13,596 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Go with the Bushnell 3-9x40...best scope out of the 3 for hunting applications.
  • JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bpost1958
    Sell them all and go buy a Burris Signature or Black Diamond, put it into Burris Signature rings and NEVER regret it.

ditto
  • elubsmeelubsme Member Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I bought a lightly used model 77 Ruger in .308 with a Bushnell 2 1/2-8 scope in 1970. I have never seen the need to change. I have used it for everything from ravens to coyotes and deer. I would try the scopes before selling them. Used scopes are not worth a lot of $. By the way, I have been a reloader since 1959 so I do have some experience. Try the Bushnell, you may save some money and be happily surprised. [:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D] my best load is 39 grains 3031 behind a 165 Sierra HPBT. Not super fast or exotic, but deadly & accurate. [:p]Eddie
  • ern98ern98 Member Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Of the three, as others have already said, the 3200 is the best for what you say you want it to do. But, as others have already suggested, I have in the recent past sold off my Bausch & Lomb and Bushnell 4000 & 4200 series scopes and bought an assortment of Burris scopes. And I am happy that I did. For most of my hunting applications the Burris Fullfield II scopes work more then well enough. My eyes are on the older side and I don't find that their Signeture scopes have that much advantage, for me, except when shooting longer distances at small targets like varmints. For deer size game inside of 300yds I'm happy enough with the less expensive scope. But that is me. Good luck with whichever you choose......