In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Ultrasonic cleaner

Dave45-70Dave45-70 Member Posts: 637 ✭✭✭
edited October 2009 in Ask the Experts
any experence with ultrasonic cleaners? do they work? what soultions do you use and does the stainless steel basket put any wear on blue guns?
Dave

Comments

• Dave45-70Dave45-70 Member Posts: 637 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Do any of you guys use an ultrasonic cleaner? The directions tell you to use water and a powdered cleaner,I'm not sure this would clean dirty gun parts etc. Any other product that is safe to use that you can recommend?or advice. Thanks
  • Dave45-70Dave45-70 Member Posts: 637 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Need a low cost ultrasonic cleaner for 1911 size handguns.
    Any advise?
  • Winchester 1912Winchester 1912 Member Posts: 528 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Good day to you. I use an ultra-sonic cleaner everyday as I am a jeweler/goldsmith by trade. All depends on the quality of the unit you are working with. I imagine they would clean gunparts as well. If you don't have a special "ultrasonic cleaning solution", you can mix dishwashing liquid and a small ammount of amonia as we did in the old days. Keep the parts you are cleaning off of the bottom of the tank. Remember to dry and oil the parts after cleaning. So once again, water, dish washing liquid and a capful or two of amonia. Hope this has helped you.
  • greystonegreystone Member Posts: 194 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I soak my brass overnight in water with dish washing soap and then clean with ultra sound. I like the idea of having casws clean inside and out. I haven't been able to get nice shines with ultra sound tho. After the cases are loaded then I tumble them for a couple of hours to get a really nice shine. I know I'll get a lot of flak on that. But it works for me. Here's a link on ultra sound.
    http://www.6mmbr.com/ultrasonic.html
  • nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    DBuesching,

CITRONEXr

Citrus based
    *All purpose cleaning concentrate
    *Based on an all natural citrus solvent
    *Pleasant citrus odor
    *Phosphate and abrasive free
    *Non-flammable, will not burn
    *Fully bio-degradable
    Excellent, natural cleaner/degreaser and deodorizer. Based on natural organic soap, reinforced with real citrus fruit oil derivative. Has excellent cleaning and solvency properties with a pleasant citrus fragrance. Superb rinsing ability, will not leave a film when used in proper use dilution. Non-insulating and may be used on conductive surfaces. Use on all surfaces not affected by water.

After using the ultrasonic cleaner, you will need to use the vibratory cleaner with something like corn cob or walnut to get the shine back if that's what you need.

Best.
  • Bill DeShivsBill DeShivs Member Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Don't use an ultrasonic cleaner on aluminum frames or parts. It can damage them. After using the ultrasonic rinse thoroughly in hot water, blot dry, and saturate with WD40 to displace any moisture left in nooks and crannies. Wipe dry, and apply oil.
  • cwi555cwi555 Member Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    An ultrasonic cleaner works fine. however, you must use the right media for it to work properly.
    quote:Originally posted by DBuesching
    Do any of you guys use an ultrasonic cleaner? The directions tell you to use water and a powdered cleaner,I'm not sure this would clean dirty gun parts etc. Any other product that is safe to use that you can recommend?or advice. Thanks
  • mrbrucemrbruce Member Posts: 3,374
    edited November -1
    I have used lots of plain old dish soap in a US to clean gun parts for years..
    Combined with HOT water they get squeaky clean...
    Citronox works great when you can find it, but it costs more than plain old dish soap, and I never noticed it did a better job cleaning gun parts..
    I do use it for cleaning brass though in a US....