In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Dan Wesson

odinsonodinson Member Posts: 126 ✭✭✭
edited October 2009 in Ask the Experts
Looking on the auction side at the Dan Wesson model 15. There is the model 15, 15-2, 15V, 15HV etc.
Understanding that on some models, different barrel lengths can be easily changed with the company tool. Was wondering the compatibility of the barrels on this model? Will a model 15 barrel work on a model 15-2, and others?
I have been a pistol guy for 20 years and thought I would give the revolver a try and like the looks of the older Dan Wessons.

Comments

• odinsonodinson Member Posts: 126 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a Dan Wesson pistol pac that includes the 357 revolver with 8" barrel in stainless. It also include an extra 8" barrel with a Burris 1 1/2x-4x scope. Can someone tell me what I should get for it? I am in Indiana if that makes a difference
    edited November -1
    I have a Dan Wesson pointman in 45 acp. and the rear sight came off hitting me in the forehead while shooting it.Lost the spring and screws.Anyone know where to get parts?They were factory sights.Gun is probably 20 plus years old.Thanks.
    edited November -1
    I have a Dan wesson .38+P stainless service revolver.The manual reads for either a 38+P or 738+P model but does not specify.My questions are (1. Which model is it? (2.What is the frame size/style(So I can get a holster)? (3.Is it possible to still obtain parts for this model)I am looking for barrel/shroud parts in various lengths)?. I have been asking locally with no success.
    edited November -1
    I have a Dan Wesson .357 that has a barrel length of 7.5". Would that be the actual barrel length or would that be considered a 7" or 8". Also what is the "choke" screwed into the barrel? I believe it is a model 15 in ss
    edited November -1
    Does anyone know any place to purchase dan wesson shrouds other than the factory for a reasonable price?
    edited November -1
    Any info good or bad about the Dan Wesson 1911's made in Norwich NY. I'm considering buying one or maybe an older Dan Wesson revolver.
    edited November -1
    customer looking for some 357 super mag ammo. where to find?
    edited November -1
    Dan Wesson makes an awesome 1911 and CZ usa just purchased the company so things will just get better.

David Collins
    edited November -1
    My buddy had a pistol pack and when barrel was changed, proper adjustment required, gun shot like a true winner. Surprised to hear Company is out of business. As I remember, guns were of excellent quality and fit.

You will be seeing one on GB soon as I am doing some stuff for him and old Dan is going to be put up for some serious consideration by someone online.

Enjoy the day! Life is great!

Franko
  • JohnnyBGoodJohnnyBGood Member Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by odinson
    I have a Dan Wesson .357 that has a barrel length of 7.5". Would that be the actual barrel length or would that be considered a 7" or 8". Also what is the "choke" screwed into the barrel? I believe it is a model 15 in ss

The barrel is measured from the muzzle to where it almost touches the face of the cylinder. The "choke" you refer to is probably the nut that holds the barrel on. With a special tool you can easily remove the barrel and install a shorter/longer one. This was the unique feature of the DW revolvers.

John
    edited November -1
    Thanks. The barrel measures 7.5". I don't think I have ever heard of a barrel of that length.
  • Mort4570Mort4570 Member Posts: 472 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Years ago I had a DW that had a 7.5",so they are/were available.
    It was a tack driver,one of those that should not have gotten away.
  • beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by odinson
    Thanks. The barrel measures 7.5". I don't think I have ever heard of a barrel of that length.

Actually 7.5" barrels go back quite a ways. Its probably THE original "long" revolver barrel length. For example, here is an 1851 Navy revolver with that length barrel:

ac-384.jpg

7.5" was also the original issue barrel length on the famous Colt Single Action Army. Teddy Roosevelt carried a revolver with a 7.5" barrel, as did Doc Holiday, Jesse James and many others.

The Ruger Super Blackhawk still comes in this length, and its probably the most popular length for that gun. Several other single-action guns do too:
    superblackhawk44II.jpg
  • moonshinemoonshine Member Posts: 8,471
    edited November -1