In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Used is not a condition.

n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
edited October 2009 in Ask the Experts
Why are sellers allowed to list the condition of guns as used?

This tells absolutely nothing about the condition of the gun. If the gun was purchased one hour before being listed it is used. If it was hunted with and no regards for upkeep for 40 years it is used.

Just wondering as I see this as an out to list the actual condition of the gun and if this is true the seller is trying to cheat the potential buyer.

Anyone explain what part of this observation is incorrect.

Sage 1

Comments

• FEENIXFEENIX Member Posts: 10,559 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    "Caveat Venditor" vs. "Caveat Emptor"!
  • makindumakindu Member Posts: 382 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Item Condition and our Firearm Standards
    (last updated on 12/30/2004 8:12:08 PM)

GunBroker.com Modern Firearm Condition Standards

The following standards were set forth by the GunBroker.com for describing the condition of a any item sold on our web site. It is up to you to describe in detail in your description the actual condition of the firearm.

Factory New (1) - not previously sold at retail, in the exact same condition as current year factory production.

New Old Stock (2) - brand new condition, never used or resold, but has been in stock for a while, sometimes for years. This usually also means it is not the same as the current year production model, but read the auction description to determine the actual condition.

Used (3) - Everything else. If the item has ever been previously owned, it should be listed as Used, this also includes collectibles.

Sir, pay particular attention to the bold sentence up above. Then look at this 'used' auction item as an example. Please read the full item description and examine pics. I think in general that most Sellers try to be as honest as possible in order to build up strong positive feedback. If a particular Seller 'tries to cheat the potential buyer', it will most certainly show up in the feedback comments, and impact that Seller's future sales. That is the purpose of allowing feedback to be posted by both parties.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=141172257
  • beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Why are sellers allowed to list the condition of guns as used?

"Used" vs "new" is the most basic descriptor.

You're saying you want sellers NOT to tell you that the gun they are selling is used?

That's REALLY what you want?

Obviously, more description they provide, the better, but they can provide as much or as little as they like. Quality pictures are usually worth a lot more than description.

If you are interested in the gun, and don't have enough information, you can always ask for more.

If you aren't satisfied, then don't bid!
  • spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,717 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    watching you buy a car would be fun
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    OK advanced members.

Would you buy any gun with a description used?

Just trying to make a point.

Sage 1
  • perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,105 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    95% of the guns I have bought in the last 20 years were USED [:)]all firearms must be shipped to a FFL dealer when new. and if you go in and buy it it is then USED when you walk out the door. because it is on this ffldealers books and it can only be NEW once. I will ask you a question would you never buy a USED fire-arm[?][?][?] or Car or House[?][?] I buy guns to use them and Condition is everything. I don't need to buy a new gun and put it in a safe. but I do look for one in the condition that will serve it's intended use. One in my tackel box in my canoe can be a beater that is mechanically 100% but looks like H**L. YMMV
  • machine gun moranmachine gun moran Member Posts: 5,198
    edited November -1
    The more of a description a seller puts into an ad, the fewer e-mails he will have to answer about condition. I recently inquired about the bore condition of a WW2 p-38, which could have been covered in the ad in two or three words. The response didn't come for several days. When it did, the seller didn't answer the question, telling me instead that the gun had already been sold via a 'phone sale' (this killed my bid. The next day, however, the gun was still listed in that specific sale ad, and still inviting bids [8]). So, there are some sellers that invite people to just skip them and their ads.

I don't mind if a seller is not real wordy, as long as he covers the basics. [8D]
  • rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Nobody but a newby who just fell off a Turnip wagon would buy any firearm that is just listed as being in used condition. If you were interested in said firearm, you would contact the seller with specific questions regarding it's condition. If the seller didn't respond or his response wasn't satisfactory, you drop it like a hot potato.
  • kimikimi Member Posts: 44,719 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Sage1
    OK advanced members.

Sage 1

Yes, I would, provided the pictures show the gun to my liking, and any questions I have are answered by the seller in a timely fashion.
    What's next?
  • JohnnyBGoodJohnnyBGood Member Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Sage1
    OK advanced members.

Sage 1

What difference would it make if the seller said "good," "very good," "fine+," etc.? While there are guidlines for these descriptions they are all subjective. So even when a seller does say "fine condition" I still need to know his/her definition of "fine" as it could be different from my definition of fine.

The important thing is a thorough description and good photos. With those I can then determine what the condition rating is.

John
  • givettegivette Member Posts: 10,886
    edited November -1
    Sage 1..business basics, here. If anything posted in the above replies have been unknown to you, then it was a worthwhile post/question. We all have to learn the mercantile ins-and-outs sometime. Best, Joe