In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

German Rifle

neismanneisman Member Posts: 18 ✭✭
edited October 2009 in Ask the Experts
Hi
Please forgive my ignorance but I know nothing about guns and now have been put in charge to sell an old german rifle. If you can give me any advice I will greatly appreciate it. It is a double barrel rifle with a scope the markings are 616xx Hubertus Suhl Dural on the barrel in a circle it reads flussstahl kruppfssen with an x in the middle and on top it reads schrot. It is very ornate with what looks to be hand carved silver and gold. There is a carving of rabbits a lab chasing birds and an elk.
Thank You
Sherri

Comments

• neismanneisman Member Posts: 18 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have this ANKARA 1935 I think its a German rifle. It says GEM 88 It has no Caliber stamped on it. It has a crescent over AS.FR and a star and a T C over the crescent. Could someone tell me about this rifle?[:)]
    edited November -1
    I am looking for information on a rifle I am restoring for a friend. His father brought the rifle back from Germany, circa 1950. The barrel is stamped Helmut Dinger Kaiserslautern. The serial number is 1089. The rifle is in 270 caliber. It has some engraving on the trigger assembly. The rifle has a nice mannlicher stock; ivory details, silver inlay, checking, etc... Anu information is appreciated.
    Thanks
    edited November -1
    I would love to know something about his cute little rifle that I bought years ago. It is chambered for 4mm long. The breech shows that size, but the muzzle is much larger.
    I don't understand German, but I guess "Sportmodell" is obvious.
    If anybody can shed any light on this rifle, please drop me a line. I would love to know it's history.
    The receiver and the barrel are numbered alike.
    The things that puzzle me are.....
    If it's a Sport model, why does it have a Swastika?
    Why is the muzzle so much larger than the breech?
    Why is the stock cut for a sling when there is no hardware for a sling?
    I would understand the last question if it had been sporterized, but evidently it was a sporter from birth.
    See pictures here http://www.karlsattic.com/german_rifle/Index.html
  • Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,702 ******
    edited November -1
    German training rifle. Is this the same rifle?

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=134517353

kraft durch freude means "strength through joy".
  • p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 23,916 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Lots of .22 DSM's had their stocks cut down by Americans and yours did too. They were made to be like a K98k in overall look and feel.
    I forget why the muzzles are oversized, but all the Nazi BB guns are like that.
  • Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,702 ******
    edited November -1
    Apparently, the seller of the one I mentioned above made an inquiry here:

http://warrelics.eu/forum/firearms-ordnance/j-g-anschutz-4mm-buscher-sportmodell-nurnberg-germania-waffenwerk-ag-zella-mehlis-9652/

Responders stated value of $800-$1,000 although the querent put it up for $4,900 hoping a sucker would stumble across it.
  • p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 23,916 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Spider7115
    Apparently, the seller of the one I mentioned above made an inquiry here:

http://warrelics.eu/forum/firearms-ordnance/j-g-anschutz-4mm-buscher-sportmodell-nurnberg-germania-waffenwerk-ag-zella-mehlis-9652/

Responders stated value of $800-$1,000 although the querent put it up for $4,900 hoping a sucker would stumble across it.

Yeah, a thousand is the upper end of the value. That guy's dreaming or thinks people are stupid.
  • rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's whats called a Zimmerstutzen, i.e. indoor target rifle. It was made by J.G. Anschutz who is a famous manufacturer of quality rifles. Anschutz survived the war, and is still in business.

Kraft durch Freude, (Strength Through Joy), was the name of the nazi organization who organized leisure activities for people.

The small cartridge it fired was only primer powered, firing a small lead ball. Full length rifling wasn't required for a target no more then 30 feet away.
    edited November -1
    Thanks guys.

I had guessed that it was made while Germany was still prohibited from having armed forces.
    I figured that the bore got larger to cut down on muzzle volocity for indoor shooting.

Regards, Karl
  • fordsixfordsix Member Posts: 8,554 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    the germs used them in beer hall shooting events or parlor guns
  • beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I note that the seller has lowered the asking price from $4990 to $2995.

So he's getting a bit closer to the probable true market value.

Assuming no sucker comes along, and he actually wants to sell it, I'd expect further reductions in the asking price down the road.

Pretty interesting gun, regardless.