In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Aimpoint Fitment to M1 Carbine

givettegivette Member Posts: 10,886
edited October 2009 in Ask the Experts
Hello, folks! This is what I wish to accomplish..

I want to know if it's feasable to attach the Aimpoint (the real small one, I think it's called 'Mini') to the rear sight base of the M1 carbine without alteration to the carbine sight.

Do you gunsmith's/tinkerers think it's feasable for me to fabricate an interim base that has as it's upper the rails for the Aimpoint, but altered to drop-into a stripped rear M1 carbine base?

Goal: Aimpoint on an M1 Carbine, without alteration to the carbine!

Any suggestions? Thanks, Joe
EDIT For Clarification
I won't be removing the rear sight. I'll be stripping it in place, and either buying, or fabricating something that will attach to the bottom of the aimpoint, and will fit the carbine sight base. Best, Joe

Comments

• nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,879 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Check out Fulton Armory (M1 Carbine, parts). They have a scout handguard that replaces the stock handguard, & has a piccatinny rail. They even show an Aimpoint (with Aimpoint mount) mounted on this setup.

Neal

EDIT: Joe, a good reason why you don't want to fool with the rear sight is because it is usually staked into the receiver dovetail. Yes, you can remove the rear sight, but the staking marks will always be visible.
  • perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,105 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Joe I think your idea has merit. Many of us Bulls-Eye pistol shooters have mounted Red Dot sights on pistols for years and some designs don't allow for a large standard mounting system. There are some that take the place of the factory rear sight be it a dovetail in the slide or other mounting . Be aware that one reason for standard mounts on rifles or other firearms is the two ring system are more forgiving to say .001 inch movement between the scope/red dot and the barrel be it in the rings or mounts. Think of the mount as the sight radius the smaller the mount the larger the error if there is ANY movement. if you make a mount it will have to be VERY RIGID and fit in the sight base with absolutely NO MOVEMENT
  • PEZHEAD265PEZHEAD265 Member Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Joe
    I'm not sure what you are asking.Are you looking to have the aim point and look under it[AIMPOINT]to use the stock m1 sights?The mil. sight is pressed in a notched groove and can only be pressed out one side.I believe the left side looking down from the butt stock.A special tool is need for this.They sell scope mounts that att. to that groove with a set screw that does not hurt the gun.Centerfire systems has it for under 20 bucks
  • quickmajikquickmajik Member Posts: 15,576 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Do you want both Irons and the red dot mounted above the iron?

Or just a base to mount the red dot?

If it is the latter there are several after market versions that fit the dove tail in the reciever.

I have heard good and bad.
  • givettegivette Member Posts: 10,886
    edited November -1
    Thanks, folks. I'll see what short rail is close, and final fit it into my sight base. In addition to the thru-bolt (where the windage adjustment would have been), I'm going to thread a hole into the rear overhang as a second anchor. I'll keep 'ya posted on progress. Best, Joe