In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Fire lap scout squad?

rawhide54rawhide54 Member Posts: 432 ✭✭✭
edited October 2009 in Ask the Experts
I finally scraped together enough money to buy an M1A Scout Squad rifle. Awesome weapon. Won't get to fire it for a few days but was wondering if fire lapping this rifle early on is a good idea. Probably only five rounds each with each of the three types of grit in my kit. Is this a good idea or am I better off to just leave it alone?

Comments

• Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    That's the fastest way I can think of to scrap the barrel, AND distroy any warrenty you have.

Shooting sand coated bullets may be a last ditch option, IF your trying to save a junk barrel from spending the rest of it's days as a tomato stake, but other than that................
  • tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Your rifle was not designed for, intended to be, nor will ever be a benchrest bolt action tack driver. Doing the fire lapping to any rifle is not what I call a good idea. If you clean your rifle after each shot for the first ten, then after every five for the first 50 shots, that should be adequate for breaking in the barrel. Remember to only clean in one direction from the chamber to the muzzle. That is very important. This should give you the best in accuracy, and ease of cleaning the bore.

Best
  • WarGamesWarGames Member Posts: 106 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Do NOT injure your barrel by firelapping.

CP
  • JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    firelapping should only be used on the absolute worst JUNK barrels to get a few more rounds out of them.
  • p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 23,916 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Firelapping anything is only for people who can't handlap. I would NEVER firelap any barrel.
  • rawhide54rawhide54 Member Posts: 432 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks all, especially for the break-in suggestion.