In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Sending a gun in for repair

B_McB_Mc Member Posts: 794 ✭✭✭✭
edited October 2009 in Ask the Experts
How would I need to go about sending a long gun in? I live in NC and
I dont want to break any laws.

Comments

• nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,879 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Usually the best way for long guns is USPS Priority Mail insured. Make sure it is well packed. There is no need to declare the contents to the postal clerk, just truthfully answer "No" to the "4 questions" (Is it fragile, liquid, etc).

If you live near a UPS or Fedex hub, it may be as cheap to ship, but that varies depending upon distance, value, box size, etc.

Just be sure that you have either a copy of the repair shop's Federal Firearms License, or, at least, their FFL number. If you are sending it to a manufacturer, don't worry about it. And, nothing on the box, even the addressee, should identify the contents of the package as a firearm.

Neal

EDIT: If I were shipping to the "Virginia Arms Company", I would address it to "VAC". Or, since I would not ship unless I had previously been told by their gunsmith, "Bob Smith", to ship him the gun, I would simply address it to "Bob Smith" at the Virginia Arms street address.
  • B_McB_Mc Member Posts: 794 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What is the address has Arms Co.?
  • Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,702 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by B_Mc
    What is the address has Arms Co.?

Do as nmyers says. If sending to a manufacturer, just use the letters in their name with their full address. For example: If shipping to Henry Repeating Arms Co., send it to HRAC or HRA Co. with their shipping address. I deal with Ka-Bar knives and even their return address simply says "Customer Service Dept." with their street address so nobody knows they're shipping knives to me. Sturm-Ruger repaired my Vaquero and shipped it back with a return label that said "SR Co".
  • B_McB_Mc Member Posts: 794 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the advice.
  • BHAVINBHAVIN Member Posts: 3,490 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Make sure you contact the manufacturer and get a Return Authorization if needed. Many companies have a seperate address for repairs. If it is a warranty repiar some companies will issue a call tag.