In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

chiappa or puma 1911-22

oltickoltick Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
edited October 2009 in Ask the Experts
any input? gunblaster.com calls chiappa a tack driver. gallery of guns shows puma to weigh more...more steel maybe? chiappa old euro company but don't know where pistol is made. puma?

Comments

• perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,105 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hello I don't want to sound like a SNOB and my criteria is most likely different then most 22 Plinkers . I saw a CHIAPPA last week and was Not impressed. I have owed many conversion units that fit on a 1911 Frame or used an insert barrel to shoot 22 RimFire from a standard 1911 in 45 ACP. The Chiappa does not allow you to change parts with any 1911 TYPE parts. I would rather see you find a SHOOTER 1911 in45ACP and then get a Kimber or Colt conversion unitor better yet a Marval conversion unit, even if you have to wait to save the money for that kind of purchase. IMHO with the sights that come on a Chiappa how would any one know if it is a tack driver. IMHO this unit may be ok to plink but it is NOT a target grade pistol or can it be made into one YMMV

EDIT I might have to change my opinion of this unit I just received a very informative cordial note to my personal email from the designer and maker of this pistol He impressed me with his experience as a competitive shooter.
  • iwannausernameiwannausername Member Posts: 7,131
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by perry shooter
    Hello I don't want to sound like a SNOB and my criteria is most likely different then most 22 Plinkers . I saw a CHIAPPA last week and was Not impressed. I have owed many conversion units that fit on a 1911 Frame or used an insert barrel to shoot 22 RimFire from a standard 1911 in 45 ACP. The Chiappa does not allow you to change parts with any 1911 TYPE parts. I would rather see you find a SHOOTER 1911 in45ACP and then get a Kimber or Colt conversion unitor better yet a Marval conversion unit, even if you have to wait to save the money for that kind of purchase. IMHO with the sights that come on a Chiappa how would any one know if it is a tack driver. IMHO this unit may be ok to plink but it is NOT a target grade pistol or can it be made into one YMMV

Yup, get a Rock Island complete gun or a frame from Sarco and build up a dedicated conversion using a good conversion kit (as perry mentioned)
  • oltickoltick Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm sorry, I guess I wasn't clear enough. I don't want to sound like a SNOB either but I have an extensive collection of 1911's ranging from one cheapo Charles Daly that, with a little work, now thinks it's a Colt to Springfields, Colts and one spiffy Kimber. And a used Kimber conversion kit that stays in a well worn old Mark IV. I already have a tack driver target .22 in an old Ruger MarkI that I'll put up against any of the newer Mark's with the same pay grade.

Like daddy used to say when mom asked him, "just how many guns does a man need?" his answer was, "one more." I'm just looking at more toys. I got curious after reading Jeff Quinn's column in his gunblaster.com emagazine. Over the years I've found Jeff to be a very reliable source. http://gunblast.com/Chiappa1911-22.htm

I can't find much on the Legacy Puma 1911 except that it weighs more which leads me to believe it may have more steel. The Chiappa may indeed look cheap because of it's alloy construction but then some very fine pistols look cheap because of their alloy construction. I'm a sucker for 1911's. I have a pellet gun under license by Colt that costs as much as the Chiappa, it's a nice alloy finish and it's a hoot to shoot.

Guess what I should have asked is, "does anyone have any actual hands on experience with the Chiappa and/or Puma?" And I was wondering if anyone knows where they are manufactured. I'll be more specific with my questions from now on. I was being distracted by Glenn Beck's bombshell while trying to write. [:)]

Tick, in the soggy Piney Woods
  • perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,105 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hello OLTICK thanks for the added info.I also need to add some info . I have been a competitive shooter for over 40 years and currently hold a Master card in N.R.A. bulls-eye pistol . Over the years I have shot many different brands of 22 rimfire pistols and just about every brand of conversion units made to fit on a 1911TYPE frame,as well as conversion units for the 1911 in 223 and 308 Winchester. I currently shoot a KART unit on a series 70 frame for the 22 phase of a 2700 match. I have found that unless there is a tool steel insert in the face of the slide like the Marval conversion. an aluminum/alloy slide will wear very quickly. when I looked at the Chiappa it looked only slightly better then a crossman BB pistol made to look like a 1911. If however you would like to have one of these just for the fun of having it. I say go for it. but if you want to use as a TRAINER "the original intent of the first Colt Service model conversion " then I feel it will not last very long and the sights are poor replacement parts are not 1911 type parts.

EDIT as posted above in my edit there I might have to change my opinion after I purchase and try one of these pistols I just received a very informative cordial note from the maker and am impressed with his experience as a competitive shooter. I hope he proves me wrong[:I]
  • BCaseyBCasey Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I saw one of the Chiappa 1911-22's at a Gun Show in Dayton today, and was not familiar with it, so I passed, now I wish I had bought it! They were asking 299.00 for it, I wanted to research it more before I pulled the trigger. The guy at the show told me that this pistol was developed by a bullseye shooter and that they wanted to offer a accurate pistol for an affordable price. He also told me that the target model that will be coming out soon has upgraded adjustable sights and trigger and will be match ready out of the box. Everything seemed too good to be true, then I saw the gunblast.com review tonight, and I'm kicking my self for not "buying" what the guy at the show was telling me!

I have tried every conversion on the market, while some may be accurate, they ARE NOT reliable....period! I am tired of alibi's on the line for malfunctions, and from what I am hearing, this pistol by Chiappa is accurate and reliable! BTW, I was told that Chiappa is making the Puma pistol as well and that they are virtually identical.

I guess I will be making a trip back to Dayton and find the gunshop that has them!

BC
  • oltickoltick Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    BC, I've been reading Jeff Quinn's reviews for many years and find him to be very credible. He's led me to a few great buys.

I don't shoot serious competition, mostly for meat and casual fun, so when I grab a handful of guns and a brick of ammo and head for the back forty with the grandkids, it's mostly in search of the elusive dirt clod. I carry a concealed 1911 (most of the time) so that's what I train with and during a good hay and calf crop year like this one I don't need to save up, I just go buy a few new toys. And I'm guessin' I'll get a Chiappa, it looks like fun and if it can't handle it, it can't stay. I did a Google on the Chiappa company history and manufacturing facilities in Italy and must say, I'm impressed.

I guess the pistol is so new there are no 'hands on' opinions so someone has to be first, eh?

Tick