In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

22L Inserts for 45LC Wheel Guns

thumbjuice1thumbjuice1 Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
edited October 2009 in Ask the Experts
Due to the shortage of 45LC ammo I was thinking of buying the 22L inserts for my Vaquero. Any cons to this setup?

Thanks...

Comments

• perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,105 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    they will go bang that is about all very little velocity and groups will be poor unless you get an insert barrel to go along with the insert cartridges. also a PITA to reload the inserts.

EDIT I have a number of conversion units that are made by LOTHAR WALTHER they are very high quality and have a barrel insert as well as the insert is center-line bored for the 22 with a small backplate for each insert so the center-fire firing pin will transfer its impact to the rimfire cartridge. These units do shoot very well but are still a PITA to reload the inserts. I also have units from them for 45ACP in a 1911 with insert barrel and cartridges . I also have a Danish unit with the bore of the barrel offset to allow the 1911 firing pin to fire the 22 LR cartridge. IMHO all of these units will allow you to shoot 22 cartridges but does NOT take the place of either a conversion unit with a 22 slide or another pistol in 22 long rifle.
  • nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,879 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't know what a "22L insert" for the Vaquero is. Can you post a link to where ever it is that you saw them.

Neal
  • Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,702 ******
    edited November -1
    Why not just pick up a Ruger Single Six?
  • thumbjuice1thumbjuice1 Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by nmyers
    I don't know what a "22L insert" for the Vaquero is. Can you post a link to where ever it is that you saw them.

Neal

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cowboy-22-conversion.aspx?a=471503
  • thumbjuice1thumbjuice1 Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by perry shooter
    they will go bang that is about all very little velocity and groups will be poor unless you get an insert barrel to go along with the insert cartridges. also a PITA to reload the inserts.

[Thanks for the heads up on the barrel insert, without that I suppose it would be like launching BB's out of a cannon.navy][/navy]
  • dandak1dandak1 Member Posts: 450 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I dont think they would be useless....my hunch is they would still be quite dangerous if you got shot by one. It would be cheap to shoot, and youd be able to practice trigger control and sight control by shooting these. i thought about them too. I hope someone who actually has a set will chime in here and tell us how they are.
    edited November -1
    One of the reviews on the website says:

Great money saver to practice shooting. No rifling so bullets tend to tumble. Accuracy is therefore unreliable, but still fun.

KEVIN, SEATTLE, WA 7/5/2009

With no accuracy, I really can't see the benefit of them. If you want to practice sight or trigger control, get some snap caps.

I would also be concerned about the possible damage all of those bullets tumbling down my .45 caliber bore would do to my rifling.
  • dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,168 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    From reading the site, my guess is that the only part of the unit that has rifling is the front 1/2" or so of the insert. There's no "barrel" in the kit. Since the 22lr chambers are offset, if it did come with a barrel, you'd have to be fairly careful to ensure the offset 22lr chamber lines up with the barrel otherwise that little 22 will hit the back end of the barrel insert.
  • beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by thumbjuice1
    Due to the shortage of 45LC ammo I was thinking of buying the 22L inserts for my Vaquero. Any cons to this setup?

Thanks...

I wouldn't expect great accuracy from the short insert. You're not going to win bullseye matches with this thing, but it should be OK for "minute of tin can" accuracy at 25 feet or so.

Per the reviews, the inserts ARE rifled and you can use the revolver's ordinary ejector to push out the spend .22 shells.

Given the complete unavailability of 45 LC, I think these are a good choice. The other choice, of course, being to just buy a dedicated .22LR Single action gun, though that's going to run you a lot more money.

quote:Couldn't tell from the ad whether shell adapters were rifled (for accuracy)-thought I'd take a chance; they are. They fit the .45 chambers well and .22 shells fit inside them well. Ejector works fine on spent cartridges. Can't wait to try them out
    CHARLES B, UKIAH, CA 3/14/2009 12:51:45 PM.
  • AslepathewhlAslepathewhl Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have made several inserts for my 12 ga shotgun. .357 and 500 S&W.
    They fit in the 12 ga (same dimentions) just like a shell and have riflings. This way when hunting with my shotgun and I have a longer shot to make I just pull this out of my pocket and I have a long range shotgun. Not sure what to call these things...any suggestions? Thinking of making a few to sell. Any caliber is possible. Contact me direct geabas@psci.net or call 812-457-9046
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Aslepathewhl
    I have made several inserts for my 12 ga shotgun. .357 and 500 S&W.
    They fit in the 12 ga (same dimentions) just like a shell and have riflings. This way when hunting with my shotgun and I have a longer shot to make I just pull this out of my pocket and I have a long range shotgun. Not sure what to call these things...any suggestions? Thinking of making a few to sell. Any caliber is possible. Contact me direct geabas@psci.net or call 812-457-9046

I have a suggestion: Follow the posting guidelines which forbid offering items to sell in the forum. Use the auction side like everyone else.