In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

710 vs 770

mikecarol63mikecarol63 Member Posts: 336 ✭✭✭
edited October 2009 in Ask the Experts
Is there any diference in quality between a Remington 710 and a 770? Seems someone told me one of these was very poor quality, but I can't remember what it was. As always, thanks in advance. Mike

Comments

• RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'd definitely stay clear of the 710; barrel is press fit into the receiver so changing barrels down the line would likely be out of the question. The few I've handled were stiff and appeared to be cheaply made, though I've heard that the bolts may be a bit smoother in operation than the first ones had a reputation for being. I know nothing about the 770 although they appear to be similar to the 710 and I doubt they'd be much better. For what it's worth I'd look at a 700, Ruger 77 or one of the other quality bolt actions available.
    p.s
    If cost is an issue, or even if it isn't, you should check out the Marlin XL7 From all I've heard a very nice rifle. Plan to pick one up as a backup to my Sako and Rugers.
  • shooter10shooter10 Member Posts: 461 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Poor quality? My thoughts are "You get what you pay for". There is the economy Remington 788 like in a .223 that has very good performance even with sloppy bolt, ugly trigger, plain stock etc. The 710 was introduced in 2001. Then in 2007, the 770 came out as another package rifle (rifle and scope). It is similar to the 710 but with a changes to the bolt assembly and magazine catch. The 710 was made in .270 and 30-06 and the 770 has several more calibers.
  • MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 10,022 ******
    edited November -1
    710=pig in a dress, 770=prettier dress (but still a pig)
  • mikecarol63mikecarol63 Member Posts: 336 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thank you very much. I will stay away from them both. Mike
  • godalejrgodalejr Member Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    a better buy a pre accutrigger savage 110 or a stevens 200 just my 2 cents worth. i will probally get beat up for that statement....
  • allechalleyallechalley Member Posts: 888 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The 710 was an attempt at making a price competitive rifle to the savage and some ot the imports. I would look at past postings, as I believe you no longer can get parts for the 710. I agree, the 770 is an improved reissue. The Savage is tough to beat as far as accuracy, ect. without spending lots of $$$. You might want to check out their classic line, if nice wood, ect is your thing.
  • MFIMFI Member Posts: 7,899 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Look at the Marlin XL7 ..We are selling more ofthose right now than the Savage packages and the Remington 710/770 pure junk !
  • timhill100timhill100 Member Posts: 1,133 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    i bought a 770 3 or 4 years ago. got it as a foul weather gun, my regular dear riffle is a pre 64 browning safari in 270, couldnt see taking that out in the snow and rain and pulling it up a tree with a rope, anyway back to the 770 its all i use now for hunting, i take my browning to the range to shoot but when it comes to hunting i grab the 770, who cares if it gets nicked or scratched but it is ver acurate i shoot 2'' groups at 100 yds all day with cheap factory ammo,
    i see nothing wrong with the 770 as a hunting rifle i love the one i got
  • MrGunz22MrGunz22 Member Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    710/770 garbage in my opinion. Ive never shot either though, just held them both in the gun shop....that was enough for me. If money is the issue I would go with a NEF in the same caliber synthetic stock. Those little guns are deadly accurate.