In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Colt New Service .45 ACP

BergtrefferBergtreffer Member Posts: 629 ✭✭✭✭
edited October 2009 in Ask the Experts
Is there a rimmed .45 caliber cartridge that will work in the Colt New Service .45 ACP revolver? Currently I am using full moon clips, and I know that half moon clips were also used (but I don't have any). I would like to know if there is a rimmed .45 case that can be used in place of the clip-held ammo?

Comments

• JohnnyBGoodJohnnyBGood Member Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Bergtreffer
    Is there a rimmed .45 caliber cartridge that will work in the Colt New Service .45 ACP revolver? Currently I am using full moon clips, and I know that half moon clips were also used (but I don't have any). I would like to know if there is a rimmed .45 case that can be used in place of the clip-held ammo?

This is a little modern for me, but I believe it's the .45 Auto Rim (AR). It was discontinued a few years back but you might still find some around.

John
  • ruger41ruger41 Member Posts: 14,665 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    .45 Auto Rim is still alive and well--Buffalo Bore even offers a defense load for it. http://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_list&c=13 Black Hills & Cor-Bon also make ammo for it. http://www.midwayusa.com/browse/BrowseProducts.aspx?pageNum=1&tabId=3&categoryId=19041&categoryString=653***691***
  • BergtrefferBergtreffer Member Posts: 629 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    OK, thanks. I am also wondering if a .45 long Colt case can be reduced in length for this purpose. Os, is the .45 auto rim the only alternative?
  • dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,168 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Bergtreffer
    OK, thanks. I am also wondering if a .45 long Colt case can be reduced in length for this purpose. Os, is the .45 auto rim the only alternative?

You can't use shortened 45 Colt cases for the 45 ACP/AR chambered gun. Take a look at the thickness of the AR rim - very, very thick to take up all that ACP and moon clip space.

I have a few ACP revolvers, the AR is a great convenience. Regarding the Buffalo Bore ammo, I'd check to ensure it's OK in an older gun. It may be, but there are some "use only in modern guns" loads out there for the Rugers & I wouldn't use them in an old gun.
  • givettegivette Member Posts: 10,886
    edited November -1
    Added Info: Buffalo Bore will only go so far as to say their hi-power loads are safe in specific revolvers (check the website), and their mid-power loads are safe in any US made post WWII revolver. They won't commit to a specific revolver by type for their mid-power loads.

The defensive load may be Okay in your old Colt, as it falls into their 'mid power' lineup of products. Caution is advised, however, because the mid power BB loadings are still quite hot. Best to go on the website, and see for yourself.

Sidenote: I believe you can get virgin empty brass in the .45 AR from BB, and can load (download?) to a low-power 'sweet' load using cast lead bullets. You will also find the reduced load in the old .45's are usually the most accurate. Best, Joe
  • Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,378 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't know your needs, but if you are just tired of loading and unloading steel clips, the plastic RIMZ clips are a lot easier to manage barehanded. At $27.50 for 15 clips, that would be less expensive than stocking up on Auto Rim brass and ammunition.
    http://www.ezmoonclip.com/
  • nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,057 ******
    edited November -1
    You can also shoot .45 ACP without the clips. You just have to poke the empties out with a cleaning rod.
  • dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    www.starlinebrass.com has 45AR brass, $85.55-500.
  • hdcolt51hdcolt51 Member Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Georgia Arms has 45 auto rim,230gr lrn 780fps
    ph# 770-459-5117 or google them. Starline has brass but last I checked they were out but midway had them.