In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Who owned this gun ?

jimvette59jimvette59 Member Posts: 11 ✭✭
edited October 2009 in Ask the Experts
I have owned an Ithaca Mod.37 16ga. shot gun serial # S 1818 since the early 60s. The S is over 1818 on both the vented ribbed,improved cyl. barrel and the trigger grouping, there is also extra engraving on the grouping. It looks like a deluxe model with a curl in the wood. I would like to know how much it's worth but mostly it's provenance. Thanking you in advance. jim.t.

Comments

• GuvamintCheeseGuvamintCheese Member Posts: 38,932
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by jimvette59
    Who owned this gun ?

I have owned an Ithaca Mod.37 16ga. shot gun serial # S 1818 since the early 60s. The S is over 1818 on both the vented ribbed,improved cyl. barrel and the trigger grouping, there is also extra engraving on the grouping. It looks like a deluxe model with a curl in the wood. I would like to know how much it's worth but mostly it's provenance. Thanking you in advance. jim.t.
    You.
  • beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by cartod
    quote:Originally posted by jimvette59
    Who owned this gun ?

You.

[:D]

You're driving a bus.
    At the first stop six passengers get on and four get off.
    At the next stop three passengers get on, and give get off. . .

. . . .

[;)]
  • givettegivette Member Posts: 10,886
    edited November -1
    Ithaca factory records are very sketchy. At least I have not seen any such archival database with the comprehensiveness of Colt, S&W or Winchester.

The only way for any research is to have the factory (or archival depository) research the serial number. Once that is found, it will only tell of where it was shipped. Then, you'd have to start searching all over, to find the sales records from the company/hardware store/distributor where it was sent to.

Locating the end-user is a complicated multi-tier process. Not impossible, but highly improbable that you will be able to nail down who may have owned a particular firearm. Sorry, Joe
  • AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It appears, according to the book on the Ithaca 37, that you have a 37S (Skeet) made in 1937, judging from the serial number. They had a little fancier wood, vent rib, and the letter "S" included in/with the serial number. Some of the earlier guns also had extra hand chased engraving worked into the usual trade mark Ithaca duck and pheasant stamping. As far as the origional owner: If he could have afforded to buy that gun in 1937 he was well off and therefore middle-aged+. He has, no doubt, left the field. You have a nice gun. I will be hunting the pheasant opener tomorrow with a pre-war 16 ga. Ithaca 37. My gun is probably no where near as nice as yours.