In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Winchester 61 forearms

JOHN42768JOHN42768 Member Posts: 8 ✭✭
edited October 2009 in Ask the Experts
Hi All, Can anyone help me as to the date or serial range in 1940 that the forearm went from short (10 groove) to long (17 groove). I read somewhere that this change took place in 1940. Thanks, John

Comments

• shooter10shooter10 Member Posts: 461 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The 11 groove (pre-war) and the 17 groove (post war) are generally referred to as such. The 11 grooves are 1 - 57,493 (are there abouts). After that, they had 17 grooves. Bert might can shed more light on this subject.
  • Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hello John,

Per Ned Schwing, Winchester used the short (11-groove) slide handle until February 16th, 1939 (circa serial number 42,500), then changed the length and shape to the 17-groove slide handle per Manufacturing Change Order #14,107. The new style slide handle was not depicted in the catalogs until 1940. Serial number 57493 was manufactured in early June of 1941... well after the change to the 17-groove slide handle.
  • shooter10shooter10 Member Posts: 461 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well, Ned is definitely a bigger authority than my source. One of my favorite Ned Schwig quotes, "Marlin made lever action rifles, but nobody ever had a Marlin in films or tv series. They were always Winchesters." I have Ned's "2006 Standard Catalog of Firearms" and though he writes much about the 61 he doesn't have that in this source.
  • JOHN42768JOHN42768 Member Posts: 8 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    HI Bert & Shooter10, I really want to thank you for the info. I only have Vol.1 for my 1890's, but just ordered Vol.2 so now I will be covered. A gentleman from N.Z. had responded over on the Rimfire forum a little while ago. He must also have had Vol.2.. I appreciate the help. John
  • Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by JOHN42768
    HI Bert & Shooter10, I really want to thank you for the info. I only have Vol.1 for my 1890's, but just ordered Vol.2 so now I will be covered. A gentleman from N.Z. had responded over on the Rimfire forum a little while ago. He must also have had Vol.2.. I appreciate the help. John

Hello John,

You are quite welcome. As a point of interest, I have both of Ned's books on the slide-action .22 rifles... there is no better source of information in my opinion. All told, I have a total of five of Ned's superb reference books.
  • kimikimi Member Posts: 44,719 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What Bert said is going to be close. I have one with serial number in 43,300+ range.
    What's next?