In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Colt M1991 .45 acp

82trooper82trooper Member Posts: 251 ✭✭✭
edited October 2009 in Ask the Experts
Anyone have any experience with thei particular Colt? I have a chance to buy one, but I am not questioning it's value....simply is it good gun? Anyone know of any inherent flaws to this particular model? Any disadvantages as a carrying piece? Anyone with any experience who can offer some advice, and I would greatly appreciate it.
Thanks!
Mike

Comments

• dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    They are a basic Colt 1911, with some plastic pieces to lower the cost. Very good 1911 to build on. It might not feed anything but ball ammo as is. Other than that, they are good basic shooters.
  • perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,105 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    DCS Shooter has hit the nail on the head. Everything he said is 100 % correct.

EDIT most had plastic trigger face and main spring housing as well as recoil spring guide.
  • hunterXhunterX Member Posts: 75 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Not sure what all these "plastic pieces" are they are talking about, but it is an ecnoline colt 1911.
    Mine feeds ball "pme,blazer,wolf" as well as H.P."black hills 230gr" I use Wilson mags in this gun almost soley as the factory colts mags do give me the occasional problem.
    Bought the gun back in '92 I believe
  • hdcolt51hdcolt51 Member Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If its a good price I would go for it.I have had a few of them never had a problem.You can always do upgrades,sights and trigger first.
  • SpartacusSpartacus Member Posts: 14,415
    edited November -1
    quote:Any disadvantages as a carrying piece?

Kinda big. Ok if youre wearing a jacket. there's a guy who claims to carry a full size in a smartcarry. i can't immagine it and i doubt he can sit down while carrying! so, deep concealment is pretty much out, but as already mentioned, great pistol. alot of aftermarket upgrades available as well (check brownells).
    tom
  • EVILDR235EVILDR235 Member Posts: 4,398 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    When they came out my local gunshop was selling them for $400.00 plus tax.I bought a Ruger Redhawk instead for the same price.I should have bought the Colt too.The one I looked at had a plastic mainspring housing.

EvilDr235
  • john wjohn w Member Posts: 4,104
    edited November -1
    I have one and the only plastic part i found was the housing on the grip for the mainspring which i replaced with a steel one.