In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Firearms and pawn shops

cash777cash777 Member Posts: 213 ✭✭
edited October 2009 in Ask the Experts
Never having been in one or pawned anything yet [:)] Once having pawned a handgun or any item does this person have a length of time before it can be sold. Does anyone have any experiences with these shops. Better prices, higher about the same as gun shops? Ever found any good deals. I never thought to check them out. How do they work? Thanks, Dave

Comments

• 22hipower22hipower Member Posts: 619 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This topic probably belongs in the general discussion forum rather than "ask the experts." That said, pawnshops, like every other business, vary based on the owner/operator. State and local laws may make for differences between shops too. For the most part they make money as the "lender of last resort" to those who can't get credit any other way. Loans are provided in exchange for something of value and interest rates vary (but are generally high). If the borrower doesn't pay the shop can sell the item loaned on. As far as firearms go, an FFL is required by the business, as is the case with any firearms dealer. A difference is that pawnshops, in Texas anyway, have to hold guns they buy for a period (three weeks or so) before they can sell them. In many ways pawnshops are no different than other retail stores. Prices can be low, or high, and owners can be honest or not. I think most pawnshop owners, like other business owners, are just trying to make a living. Be fair with them and they'll be fair with you. They'll follow the same rules as any other FFL dealer in firearms transactions. One thing to be aware of, if you pawn a firearm, you have to pass the federal background check (as for any firearms purchase) to get it back.
  • dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,168 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Some of the best deals I've ever gotten were from pawn shops in Las Vegas. Don't know if that's a reflection of pawn shops in general or Vegas specifically, just my experience living there.
  • perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,105 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hello I was over 50 years old before I ever set foot into a pawn shop . We had one opened in my town and I went to visit during a week day late morning . I and the owner only people there so I asked some questions about the operation of a pawn shop the owner was very cordial and this is how he runs his shop. person comes into shop with item to PAWN the pawn shop sets a price usually 50% of retail value lets say he states that is $200.00 on your pistol "that would retail for $400.00" he then charges 20% in this case $40.00 and will hand you $160.00 on your pistol that has a retail value of $400.00 this give you 30 days to come in and pay $200.00 to get your pistol back OR give the pawn shop another $40.00 to keep in pawn for another 30 days as you can see if you wanted to after 5 months you would have paid the full amount of what was loaned to you and would still need to pay $200.00 to get the pistol back [V][:(!][xx(][:(]. IMHO a pawn shop MAY be a place to pick up items .( I find the owners mark the price up to close if not more then retail). But is a horrible place to try to raise some ready cash. this is a 240% interest rate . I suggest you sell the item outright via the internet if you have to . I hope this helps it sure opened my eyes [:0][:0][:0]
  • pirate2501pirate2501 Member Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I made a gunbroker auction purchase from a pawn shop and paid way less for a nib handgun than at a gun dealer. you are better off going into the shop and actually seeing the item firsthand. I took a chance and happen to luck out. however i have no recourse if the gun has problems. be sure the shop is an FFL dealer as this could lead to problems getting the gun registered where you live.
  • machine gun moranmachine gun moran Member Posts: 5,198
    edited November -1
    I've found that pawn shops vary wildly on gun prices. One that I used to frequent in Phoenix sold 30-30 Marlins for a flat $150, regardless of condition, and I bought them in excellent to 'still new' with all the stickers, for that. A few miles away, another pawn shop sold the same type of Marlins for $300 regardless of condition. They even had one with a broken-off butstock that was taped to the side of the gun, which had bent receiver tangs - and it was at the store price of $300, and no dickering.

Many pawn operators will price a gun based on condition, like gun stores do. Others are interested in turning the stuff over rapidly, and probably make more money than the ones who are holding out for top dollar. You have to cruise them and get to know how each one does business. There are bargains to be had.

All pawn operators are in the business of making as much interest money as possible on the loans they make. Also, the loan amount will never exceed their 'buy oughtright' price, because when they lend money on a gun, they assume they are buying it. That's because most pawned firearms are never picked up. I knew one pawn operator who had around 400 guns on display, and as many as 5,000 out-of-pawn guns in storage upstairs. He would periodically wholesale the guns, in lots, to FFL's as far away as Texas. In the back room, he once showed me file cabinets that he had that were full of pistols. Several were full of CZ27's alone. I think I started getting dizzy.[:p]
  • shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,811 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Pawn Shops are a place to find deals, to BUY...not to sell...they play on People's desperation for cash, and float in that gray area of buying items that are often times a reasonable person would think or know are stolen.....

They are great places to find deals on tools, esp. power tools...and sometimes guns...I've bought more than a few items from an associate that owns a Pawn Shop...but I wouldn't want to have to be in a position to sell him stuff because he'd break it off in me....

Pawn Shop Owners are typically wealthy people, and that ain't cuz their stupid...
  • p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 23,916 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by shilowar
    Pawn Shop Owners are typically wealthy people, and that ain't cuz their stupid...

Very true, but some will feign ignorance when a shyster is trying to sell a Model 42 Winchester with a broken firing pin for $100. [:p]

Pawnshops are like any other business, some are knowledgable and professional, some are shoe clerks. I know little about guitars, so I tend not to deal with them much.
    Frequent the place every week or ten days and get to know the guy. Occasionally buy something and let him know what you look for. It will pay off in the long run.
  • rhmc24rhmc24 Member Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Two kinds of shops, Gun Shops that do pawn and Pawn Shops that do guns. The Gun Shop will probably know values etc and may be better if you want info, service, bring-back-within-3-days, etc. Pawn Shop you may be more likely to find a bargain, but with a lot more 'buyer beware' involved.
  • nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,879 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Most of us have gun/pawn shop stories.

I got friendly with one local shop owner, & mentioned that he only had low quality guns, while I was looking for better ones. He said, "I sell the GOOD ones on Gunbroker." After that, he would get out the "good" ones that he hadn't sold on Gunbroker to show me (& they hadn't sold because his asking price was too high).

Stopped at another shop a few weeks ago. Again, just low end guns. I asked the clerk if he had any WW2 guns in the back. He asked what I was looking for, then said the owner had a lot of them in the safe, but would only get them out for serious buyers. I said, I'm serious. He said, they start at $2,500. I said, OK. He went in the back, talked to the owner, said it would take an hour to get them out of the safe, I needed to come back. I said, I'll let you know. Obviously, the owner is not a serious seller.

Neal
  • sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sometimes, if you gotta have the cash they're a place to sell a part of your soul. You get the cash and if you want the item you get the money together and pay off the loan against it as quick as you can. As noted above %240 APR is pretty much what it amounts to.

Again, that's only if you really need the cash. When I was broke, (logging, -long story) I pawned a few items that got me gas money to get back to work. Or, diapers so the kids didn't poop on the rug[;)].

I pretty much found that pawn brokers make bankers look like saints.

Typically, they lowball what's coming in and highball what's being sold. If they don't have a ton of inventory the prices go up. If they have too much the prices go down. One of the things pawn shops do is keep a high amount of inventory. That is to keep you looking at stuff and in their shop. Eventually, you'll feel obligated to buy something. It's a proven marketing strategy. some shops do the upscale thing and are all clean and high class looking. That too is a marketing strategy to lure in higher end buyers. The trick for them is to find the fine line where your market brings and buys stuff.
    Colleges are excellent because someone always needs beer money.

Pawn shops usually mark stuff up but they want to sell it too. So, if you frequent one a few times you'll see what's still there. Make a ridiculously low offer on it and he'll highball it. Work together from there. Don't flinch or he'll get the best of you.
  • jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    Speaking of sellers who aren't serious, I knew one pawn store owner who had his guns behind the counter and/or in a safe. While you could go pick up any merchandise in the store and bring it to the counter, the guns he said he 'got tired of people handling and getting their salty fingers all over and then walking away'- so he instituted a policy whereby he would demand $5 collateral up front for you to examine a gun. You buy it, you got your $5 back. You walk, he kept it. The only exception was that he kept a list of his customers and if you had bought more than 10 guns from him (I rather doubt it given his prices that many had) he'd let you examine for free knowing you were a 'serious' buyer.

Generally filled with overpriced junk. I have bought a few guns at pawn stores but can't say that I got any deals. Marlin 336 .35 Remington for $300, and a Romanian single shot training .22 rifle for $125.

Local store has a 1918 dated DWM luger for $788. Not a bad price but I already have a Luger so I won't be buying. So acceptable prices do turn up but rarely deals.

Now while I've not bought many firearms I have gotten a lot of other stuff- coins, tools, DVDs, etc. at pawn stores. I find if you have cash money in hand they usually will be more ready to deal than if you are just talking 'in theory'- I got a box of used Super Nintendo games (which I still play from time to time for the kick of it). 20 games. Asking price was $100. I asked him if he was willing to deal, he said, no. So I reached in my wallet and held up $90 and said, "I have $90 cash. You sure? Because I'm betting you didn't pay $90 for these." He changed his tune real quick when he saw the cash money.
  • iwannausernameiwannausername Member Posts: 7,131
    edited November -1
    Yup, cash talks, and some places are good, some are bad. My local pawn is more of a gun and pawn, and they have some of the best prices around on used and new stuff. Found the famous $100 10/22 there, got it for $90 plus tax and phone call (102 total), came with a scope and soft case. $75 for a Savage 220a 20ga in great shape. Looking at a Firestart in teh "stainless" in 45 for $250, has 4 mags currently...
  • TxSgt1911TxSgt1911 Member Posts: 514 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A few years back, I walked out of a local pawnshop with a NIB Winchester 70 in .270 Winchester for $250 out the door, and a barely (if ever) fired Glock 23 for $200 out the door. The good deals are few and far between in my experience, but I still look around all the time.