In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

How do I sell this gun!

danny08danny08 Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
edited October 2009 in Ask the Experts
Ok I bought the contents of a storage unit and found this old pistol in a filing cabinet. It is a HI-Standard Model h-d military .22 with a leather holster. How do i sell this on here. I do not have an FFL. Am I even allowed to sell it without an FFL. If I can sell it, How do i ship it? are there certain states that I can not send it to?
Help would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• iwannausernameiwannausername Member Posts: 7,131
    edited November -1
    Barring any state laws, you can sell it no problem, IF the buyer's transferring dealer will accept it from a non-licensed person. Most will, and will ask for a copy of your DL. However, shipping will be expensive, since you must send it next day air via UPS or FedEx - $60-75. May be cheaper to have a FFL local to you take the gun in from you as a transfer for a small fee ($20) and have him ship to the receiving FFL via USPS ($15).
  • nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,879 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It will take a little work on your part, but you can do it.

Go to the Gunbroker home page, & select FOR SELLERS. Then, select SELLER'S TUTORIAL. This should answer just about all your questions about who you can sell it to, & how you can ship it.

You will need to take digital photos of your gun & include them in your description. For instructions on how to do that, look for a "sticky" near the top of the first page of the Ask The Experts forum.

After you do all this, get back to us if you have any additional questions.

Neal
  • sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    danny08,

There is a tutorial on the home page about how to sell here. My first check would be to see if how you came to get it was okay. Meaning does buying an auction of storage goods constitute a FTF deal within state. That way you don't sell it here then ship it there, only to find out during a NICS check the pistol isn't sellable the way you came to own it. A check is all I think that would require.

Now, what you have there is one of my personal favorite pistols. They are very accurate and pretty reliable if kept clean. Also, a good mag is essential to these. Really good examples can run to almost a grand while the average shooter grade will only bring between $200-$500 depending on how much cosmetic or functional damage it has or hasn't sustained in it's life.

EDIT:

Tombstonejim,

He can sell it here if wants no matter what it costs. If you want the truth I think the ATF prefers legal gun auction istes like this because they know the gun and the buyer are going to run a check every time a transaction is made.

Also, I think it odd, and not at all acceptable, that you come on here and advocate not selling on this auction site. Because, I bought one of these 'low dollar items' here and have found it very worthwhile.
  • PEZHEAD265PEZHEAD265 Member Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    How do you know if the gun is legal.It could of been stolen at one time or enougher.If it is legal to own a pistol in your state without a permit of any kind I would take it to the local police and have it checked out before I sell it.
  • TombstonejimTombstonejim Member Posts: 190
    edited November -1
    This is no high dollar item. Save yourself the trouble of learning how to post and mailing and collecting the money. Just take it to some dealer and put it on consignment or take what he offers you. It ain't worth a whole lot trouble to sell one lousy pistol that you don't even know what it is really worth. Which ain't much.
  • partisanpartisan Member Posts: 6,414
    edited November -1
    If you are going to ship this pistol it would be wise for you to follow IWANNAUSERNAME's info. Overnight air (required) will be awful costly!!