In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Help With A Walther PP or PPK

JFlatenJFlaten Member Posts: 9 ✭✭
edited October 2009 in Ask the Experts
Hello, I am not familiar with guns and am not actively trying to sell this gun, but would like to get a accurate estimate to its value. I know its a Walther, either a PP or PPK. It was my Dads and it is now mine. If I am able to post detailed photos, can someone help me determine a value for this? Your help is greatly appreciated.

Ok, I have attempted to take better pictures. These are quite possibly the best I can do. I suck. Anyway, the only markings on this gun are the serial number 223477K and a little N and another symbol near the silver part. It has an original clip, but no holster. Your help is greatly appreciated, and you can contact me directly at alexandriasenators@gmail.com if that is easier. Thanks again.

EDIT- Perry, there are no other markings on the gun. My dad has had this since I was born, and he has not had it reblued or anything. Not to say that it wasnt done before then, but I am 27 years old. Do we have a possible value for this?

87823395.jpg

87823397.jpg

Gun3.jpg

Comments

• rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,105 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hello these pistols have been made for close to 70 years and will vary greatly in value depending on a combination of TWO major factors #1 when it was made and #2 its condition. we may get a hint on when it was made by a written description of the EXACT markings on the slide and frame we can also get a somewhat value on Written description of the condition Not by general terms like GOOD ,VERY GOOD, ETC a better description would be in % of original finish . but even this is up to ones estimation that can also vary . for instance a 99% original finish gun could be worth 4 times a recent REBLUED WW II pistol that now has 100 % finish and 10 times as much as a 30% finish reblued 10 year old gun. As you can see this is a perfect example where one close-up in focus picture is truely worth 1000 words. BTW a PPK has both a shorter frame and slide then a PP and a PPKS has a short slide on long frame. If you take the grips off the PPK does not have a metal back it is open on the back.

EDIT a very nice LOOKING pistol indeed but it should have some scrip on the slide. this one looks almost like Black Chrome it is either remarkable original finish or a recent reblue.
  • JFlatenJFlaten Member Posts: 9 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Wow, there is a lot more to this then I thought. I will be able to post good up close pictures tomorrow. I really appreciate your guys help with this.
  • JFlatenJFlaten Member Posts: 9 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have posted some pictures. Its the best I can do at this time. There is also a N with another symbol near the silver part of the gun. The Blueing looks to be original with very little scuffs or scratches. Your help is greatly appreciated.
  • dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,168 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's a PPK - short barrel short grip. Can't tell if it's been refinished. Just a suggestion, go back to your previous post and list all the markings on the gun and that will help folks ID it. You've got a total of about 10 posts per subject here, don't want to burn another.

The grips make me think the gun is an older WWII era - but that also makes me think the gun could be refinished. Or it could be a commercial pre68 version with the grips added on.
  • nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,879 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The new photos are much better.

Unfortunately, the unmarked slide indicates a refinished gun, with all markings removed. Looks like a nice job, though.

Value? My guess is $200-300.

Neal
  • GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,903 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    SHARP reblue,,,thats to bad..Still would make a nice carry gun..nambu
  • Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,702 ******
    edited November -1
    Definitely buffed and completely refinished. Slide markings should be similar to this:

pix409108296.jpg
  • beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sweet blue job. . .

If its a reblue that destroys collectors value, but doesn't erode value of the gun as a "shooter".

I think you're looking at $350-400 for *ANY* PPK in that sort of excellent condition regardless of refinishing status.

If its an original finish it could be worth quite a bit more.

Personally. . .I wouldn't sell my dad's pistol, short of financial desperation.

Also, it would make a great concealed carry gun (a la the fictional James Bond).