In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

44 Mag

pwilliepwillie Member Posts: 20,253 ✭✭✭
edited October 2009 in Ask the Experts
About 3 weeks ago I posted a question about what type 44 I should buy, and I got some good advice. I went in to town and bought a 4" SS rubber grip S&W. I want to tell those who answered my questions and recommended the S&W Thanks, It shoots just fine and handles a mag load real nice without much kick, what I really like about it is it's balance it does not jump around in your hand when firing a mag load it comes stright up like a good weapon should.
Thanks again
Harry

Comments

• pwilliepwillie Member Posts: 20,253 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a Ruger SST Blackhawk,44 mag 10 1/2 inch barrel with standard grips. I use this revolver for hunting only,problem is when I shoot it more than 2-3 times,it cracks my middle finger when the trigger guard hits it. What can I do ? ...no I'm not gonna sell it..LOL Any remedy?I thought about tape or some kind of softing system...what say?
    edited November -1
    I have a friend who has a 44 mag s&w trail boss.were these a mass produced gun?I don't think these would make a good carry for personal protection may good for home defence? thanks
    edited November -1
    Can you shoot the same rounds though a rifle that you can a pistol?
    edited November -1
    Does anyone have experience with a red dot scope/sight on a 44 mag?
    I have a S/W 629 44 mag that I am considering taking hog hunting and I am also considering a red dot type scope. Not really needing magnification bc shots will be under 50 yrds.
    Thanks in advance for your help.
    edited November -1
    hey ruger guys, vaquero 44mag, mint condition. 7 1/2 barrel w/ box and papers. came with ruger pin, got a great deal on it. not for sale, but wondering the value? 1980s model
  • nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,879 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • SpartacusSpartacus Member Posts: 14,415
    edited November -1
    hey willie,
    what grips are you useing? I switched to pachymyer for that reason. you migh even try oversized grips with finger "grooves".
    tom
  • RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Hogues that Neal suggested should certainly take care of the problem. Another option would be to install either a Bisley grip frame or a standard frame without the Dragoon type squared trigger guard. You could also cut out the offending 90 degree angle and re-contour but that would require a fair amount of skill and/or money to make it look decent. Amputation of the appropriate digit would work as well, but has obvious drawbacks.[:D]
  • duckhunterduckhunter Member Posts: 7,687 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Shoot 44 special ammo.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by tplumeri
    hey willie,
    what grips are you useing? I switched to pachymyer for that reason. you migh even try oversized grips with finger "grooves".
    tom
    I am using the standard grips,but have a set of rubberized Hogues,which I don't care for. I am thinking about cutting off my middle finger as suggested LOL Thanks guys,but I need some better suggestions...LOL!
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by RCrosby
    The Hogues that Neal suggested should certainly take care of the problem. Another option would be to install either a Bisley grip frame or a standard frame without the Dragoon type squared trigger guard. You could also cut out the offending 90 degree angle and re-contour but that would require a fair amount of skill and/or money to make it look decent. Amputation of the appropriate digit would work as well, but has obvious drawbacks.[:D]
    I think thats a good idea about revamping the trigger guard,thanks Willie
  • beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by pwillie
    I have a Ruger SST Blackhawk,44 mag 10 1/2 inch barrel with standard grips. I use this revolver for hunting only,problem is when I shoot it more than 2-3 times,it cracks my middle finger when the trigger guard hits it. What can I do ? ...no I'm not gonna sell it..LOL Any remedy?I thought about tape or some kind of softing system...what say?

Shooting gloves could work.

Personally, I've found the Hogue grips for this particular gun far too fat to hold comfortably, but I think the idea is good, and your hands may be different than mine.

If the triggerguard is rapping your hand, just find grips that fill in the space behind the triggerguard (ie like the Hogues).
  • lcdrdanrlcdrdanr Member Posts: 439 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have the same problem with a Redhawk .44 Mag 7" barrel and with shooting heavy loads in a Dan Wesson .357 Mag. Funny thing is, I don't have a problem shooting a S&W .500 Mag 8 inch barrel with full house loads.

I use a Past shooting glove, bought it to shoot the .500 with but found it to be more useful with the Redhawk. I have tried several different grips on the Redhawk but all they did was shift the point of impact from one knuckle to the other on my middle finger.

Try the gloves, they worked for me.

Dan R
  • dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,168 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I shoot Encore and Contender handguns, have the same problem shooting 45/70, 375 H & H and such. I don't like wearing gloves. Midway (I think) sells these little padded rings that slip over your finger. Not sure what they're called, but they work. They come a bit large though, if you're a large order medium.
    edited November -1
    I have ordered some new grips,and a glove,I will try the finger ring next.