In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

11-87 Remington Cycle Problem

fishcofishco Member Posts: 63 ✭✭
edited October 2009 in Ask the Experts
I just bought a Remington 11-87 super mag that wont cycle 3 or 3.5 shells.
I tried 3-4 of each and on the last 3.5, a spring jammed up in the feed with the shell, damn near cut through the hull.

Trigger is loose now and falls back into the path of the safety, to which you have to pull it forward to engage safety.

I bought the gun used at a dealer, it looked like it had never even been fired.

Dealer said bring it back and would return money, thank godness, but I want to know what the hell happened? Is this a problem with all 11-87?

Comments

• soopsoop Member Posts: 4,633
    edited November -1
    I had trouble with mine shooting some 3 1/2 inch shells.3 inch was no problem.You've got something more going on than I had with mine.I got rid of the super mag.It was the most expensive single shot I ever owned.I bought a regular 1187 and if cycles like a semi auto should.
  • bandcollectorbandcollector Member Posts: 218 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mine was sent back to the factory for not operating with 3.5" and when they sent it back it done almost the same thing that you explained but also my bolt locked back and would not return forward. It was returned again and totally replaced. I went hunting with my gun dealer the first time it was used and the first shot the operating handle came out of the bolt and splashed in the water about 10' from me effectivly ruining another hunt. My dealer bought it back from me and sent it back again and when it was returned remington didn't send the fore grip back with it. I didn't answer your question but don't feel like you are the only one with a bad 11 87 experience
  • JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    one word,..Benelli[;)]

I had an 1100 that would do that when dirty,..but I have nothing for the 1187 as I havn't owned one
  • pitjeeppitjeep Member Posts: 475 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    take it completely apart , clean , lube , reassembly , test.very easy to do.if still dosent function right return it.i bought one from pawn shop for 150.00. they said someone brought it back wouldnt function.cleaned , lubed , put gas rings on the right way works perfect.
  • gumbydamnitgumbydamnit Member Posts: 793 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've used one since 93 and abused it and never had any problems with it not cycling not matter what I put through it. Make sur the gas ports in the barrels are clean and noting stuck in them. Thats all can see that would keep it from cycling. As far as the trigger , sounds like a spring might be broke or out of line in the trigger assembly. I like mine and looking to buy a second for hunting ducks and geese, retired my other to mainly spring gobbler hunting. Bought a Winchester SX2 and do not like it at all, nothing wrong with the gun just can't seem to shoot it like the Remingtons, so its got to go [;)].