In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

I know that this is a naive question...

Colt SuperColt Super Member Posts: 31,007
edited October 2009 in Ask the Experts
but, is there any way that 9MM Parabellum will feed and fire in a 1911 .38 Super.

Or even, could it be hand-fed as a single shot in that pistol.

Please don't beat me up too bad.

Thank you.

Doug

Comments

• Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,378 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    No.
    A standard 9mm P cartridge will not go all the way in a standard .38 Super chamber.

If "any way" includes a chamber reamer and a headspace ring, you could kluge something up in the manner of Major George C. Nonte.
  • RtWngExtrmstRtWngExtrmst Member Posts: 7,456
    edited November -1
    Not smart to put anything into a firearm that's not stamped on the barrel. But why would you want to?
  • XXCrossXXCross Member Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If I'm not mistaken, the 9mm is shorter than the 38 Super. Since the the 9mm headspaces on the end of the case (mouth), it should drop in too far to be hit by the firing pin. Only an interference between the head size and chamber diameter of the two might work to keep the round at the back of the chamber. Bad idea.
  • Colt SuperColt Super Member Posts: 31,007
    edited November -1
    It was just a random thought.

I wouldn't do it.

Just curious.

And this is the "answer" spot.

Thanks, guys.

Doug
  • MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 10,022 ******
    edited November -1
    ACCUALY, YES IT WILL. THE 9MM WILL FEED JUST FINE AND IF THE EXTRACTOR CATCHES THE RIM IT WILL FIRE AND EJECT. PLEASE NOTE I DO NOT RECOMMEND DOING THIS UNDER ANY BUT THE MOST DIRE CIRCUMSTANCE
  • BGHillbillyBGHillbilly Member Posts: 1,927 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had a 9mm that would handle .380's, unfortunatly it was stolen.
  • donut77donutdonut77donut Member Posts: 560 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mine does with the 9mm barrel
  • TxsTxs Member Posts: 17,809 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by XXCross
    If I'm not mistaken, the 9mm is shorter than the 38 Super. Since the the 9mm headspaces on the end of the case (mouth), it should drop in too far to be hit by the firing pin.On an autopistol the rim of the cartridge slides behind the extractor as it's stripped out of the magazine.

The extractor hook will hold a 'too short' round tightly enough against the breech face for the firing pin to pop the primer.

Over the years I've seen this happen several times where people have accidentally fired little stubby .380's through a 9mm. They won't successfully feed the next round, but will reliably fire a chambered round.
  • machine gun moranmachine gun moran Member Posts: 5,198
    edited November -1
    Most .38 super chambers are too tight to take a 9x19, as the 9mm case is larger at the rear. There are exceptions. Some Astra 400's in 9x23 Largo (Bergmann) would accept a 9x19. The problem with firing a short case in a long chamber is that if the round slides in ahead of the extractor, rather than sliding under it, and the firing pin can still reach the primer, as is the case with the Colts, ignition will occur with way too much headspace.

A couple of years ago, a technical writer for The American Rifleman stated in print that the Astra 400 was actually DESIGNED to function with everything from .380's to 9x23 Largos. LOL, and with elementary headspace questions aside, the Astra 400 was the world's most powerful straight-blowback handgun, and a .380 generates only about half the energy required to operate the action.
  • Colt SuperColt Super Member Posts: 31,007
    edited November -1
    Interesting.

So - you could chamber single 9MM rounds in it, and shoot them, if necessity dictated ??

Doug