In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

OLD guns - what are they?

jjjxlr8jjjxlr8 Member Posts: 13 ✭✭
edited October 2009 in Ask the Experts
I will update with better pictures next week as I don't have these in hand, yet, but can someone take a stab at what these guns are so I can begin searching. I'm not sure where to start as I am interested in more modern military style weapons.

Anything tidbits of information would be appreciated!

Here we go:

1) Double barrel shotgun
IMG_0135.jpg
IMG_0136.jpg

2) Another double barrel shotgun
IMG_0139.jpg
IMG_0140.jpg

3) Another double barrel shotgun
IMG_0143.jpg
IMG_0144.jpg

4) Unknown, octagonal barrel
IMG_0137.jpg
IMG_0138.jpg

5) Unknown
IMG_0141.jpg

6) unknown
IMG_0145.jpg
IMG_0146.jpg
IMG_0147.jpg

7) unknown
IMG_0148.jpg
IMG_0149.jpg
IMG_0150.jpg

8) parts
IMG_0151.jpg

Comments

• rhmc24rhmc24 Member Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You are right about better pictures, need good enuf to read the lettering and ID the markings, if possible. Otherwise copy whatever you can read of the letterings. Generally, old side hammer double shotguns we see are made in Belgium and worth little unless in fine condition. If any can be ID as US made they will be worth more. Of the pictures I see, the gun with the patch box in the butt is one likely to be of interest to collectors and should at least get your best picture effort.
  • perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,105 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    +1 I agree the shotguns from what I can see don't appear to be high quality or in very good condition and thus little collector interest.However even though the rifles look in fair to poor condition the first one "Half Stock" and the second one Full Stock could be worth something .DO NOT try to clean or FIX anything on these two but try for better pictures . the third rifle is a train wreck BUT is military and may have a part or two that would be worth money.
  • upjumtddeblupjumtddebl Member Posts: 363 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Second one down is a European Jager hunting rifle,maybe German but most likely Austrian. the heavy cheekpiece and unique sideplate/escutcheon are typical of that country's style.I have one very similar to it in percussion dated about 1850 or so
  • mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,453 ******
    edited November -1
    The shotguns are what are commonly known as trade guns and made to a price point for bulk retail sales to wholesalers and sales through catalogs. They likely have Damascus/twist barrels are are not safe to use with modern loads, or even light black powder loads in many cases. The term "wall hanger" covers these guns in their current condition and the market for them is limited to display pieces hanging over the fireplace.
  • lcdrdanrlcdrdanr Member Posts: 439 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    "Occidental" was a trade name used on shotguns made in Belgium and imported circa 1890.

Dan R
  • nordnord Member Posts: 6,106
    edited November -1
    All the wrong photos of all the wrong things...

The shotguns are likely trade guns as has already been shared. Probably Belgian or English. Look for proofs on the barrel flats and share them with us.

The badly mauled piece is most probably a military item given the sling provision forward of the trigger guard.

Your fullstock has what many of us refer to as a National Road patchbox. The Star of Nazareth on the cheekpiece says almost certainly a Pennsylvania rifle or fowler. This piece may actually have some value. DON'T TOUCH IT WITH ANY TYPE OF CLEANER AND DON'T ATTEMPT TO RESTORE IT!

The rest is anyone's guess right now. Here's a short primer on photography and description:

1. Focus. Fuzzy isn't good. Clear, sharp photos are necessary.

2. Guns need to be photographed as follows...
    Butt to forward of the lock on all four sides.
    Top barrel flat if signed.
    Muzzle area in detail.
    Full side shots. (Both sides.)

3. Measurements are always good. Barrel length is important.

4. All proof marks need to be properly shared with us. Serial numbers
    are of almost no consequence. (Proofs will be hidden under the
    barrels.)

5. Locks on older guns tend to be stamped by the manufacturer of
    the lock, not the gun. Lock stamping on your shotguns often
    relates to the retailer and has nothing to do with the
    manufacturer. The exception being those guns made by major
    companies. (Ithaca, L.C. Smith, Fox, Stevens, Colt, etc.)

Give us what we need and we'll try for a somewhat educated answer. I might suggest that you post the long rifle to either the forums at Antiqueguns or AmericanLongrifle.

To Admin: I realize that Antiqueguns has a commercial side. Please humor me as the forum side has nothing to do with the commercial side.
    Further, please note that AmericanLongrifles is totally non-commercial. The Library and Museum is free and open to the public and offers the largest number of long rifle exhibits in one place anywhere in the world.

Thanks,

B
  • jjjxlr8jjjxlr8 Member Posts: 13 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for all of the information.

I did not take any of these photos and unfortunately do not have these in my possession, yet. As soon as I receive them, I will take some more detailed photos to post.
    edited November -1
    OK...I've got some more photos

I'll start with 7) which used to be a M1854 Austrian Lorenz. It's very rough but the action still works! :)

IMG_0223.jpg
    IMG_0224.jpg
    IMG_0225.jpg
    IMG_0226.jpg
    IMG_0227.jpg
    IMG_0228.jpg
    IMG_0229.jpg
    IMG_0230.jpg
    IMG_0231.jpg
    IMG_0234.jpg
    IMG_0235.jpg
    edited November -1
    Here are some more pictures of 6) which may be a PA Hunting rifle:

IMG_0175.jpg
    IMG_0176.jpg
    IMG_0187.jpg
    IMG_0188.jpg
    IMG_0189.jpg
    IMG_0190.jpg
    IMG_0191.jpg
    IMG_0192.jpg
    IMG_0193.jpg

IMG_0183.jpg
    IMG_0185.jpg
    IMG_0184.jpg

IMG_0178.jpg
    IMG_0179.jpg
    IMG_0180.jpg
    edited November -1
    Here are more pics of 4). This one has "L RUTTMANN ANSBACH" on the underside of the barrel as shown. It has a very pronounced cheek rest.

IMG_0137.jpg
    IMG_0204.jpg
    IMG_0205.jpg
    IMG_0207.jpg
    IMG_0208.jpg
    IMG_0209.jpg
    IMG_0210.jpg
    IMG_0212.jpg
    IMG_0213.jpg
    IMG_0217.jpg
    IMG_0218.jpg
    IMG_0219.jpg