In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Which to buy: Savage 14 vs Remington 700

farmerfredwoodsfarmerfredwoods Member Posts: 6 ✭✭
edited October 2009 in Ask the Experts
I would appreciate anyones opinion on what rifle to buy. I can get a Savage 14 American Classic for $494. ot a Remington 700 CDL for $700. Both are new and 7mm-08 caliber. The Savage has a clip and the Remington has the floor plate. The Savage also has the free floating barrel and the Remington does not. The question is if the Remington is worth the extra $200??? I know it is all a matter of opinion, but just wondering what most of you would choose.
Thanks in advance for your response.

Comments

• extremedealerzextremedealerz Member Posts: 19 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    both are good rifles before i would spend 700 on the remington i would buy a browning,if you purchase any rifle a great scope and trigger job are very important
  • RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Objectively I'd have a hard time justifying the extra expense of the Remington, but it really depends on what you enjoy, value and appreciate. Either will be dependable, accurate, etc. If the rifle will just be a tool to deliver a bullet to a desired target, get the Savage. Otherwise, handle and if possible, shoot both. One will whisper in your ear, "take me home". That's your answer, regardless of cost.
  • tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Before you take either one of those home, if your budget can afford a 700, then look at the Tikka T-3. Much better bang for the buck!

Best

EDIT 1:

I do agree with sandwarrior on the Savage. However, do not rely on the scope that comes with the package gun. those scopes are crappy, and not conductive to really good accuracy, or hunting. They can and will fog up in extreme weather.
  • sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'd take the Savage 14 in a heartbeat any day of the week! Seriously, Savage is about the best off the shelf accuracy you will get out of a rifle.

I have shot both rifles to a reasonable extent enough to know this. Remington is good, and you won't go wrong with them. But, the Savage is better.

Edit:

I'll agree with what Stevecrea is saying about Tikka's in the last three years of working our gun club's deer rifle sight in I've seen at least 100 Tikka's and all of them have been capable of shooting 3 shot sub-MOA.
    Three years ago Tikka T-3's were the fashion. Two years ago it was the Savage 10's and 12's and a bunch of 14's. This years trend seems to be the Rem 700 SPS. Two and three years ago I was seeing some amazing groups. This last year has been good so far but not great. I've had the opportunity to shoot a bunch of these rifles. And I do feel the Tikka and the Savage are about as good as it gets for off the shelf hunting accuracy. I am looking forward to seeing how someone will shoot the newer Marlin XL-7's. I've heard they are good and for the price hard to beat. They have a fair finish inside that with a number of cycles could well smooth out.

Still, with the choice you posted, I think you have one of the best rifles you can get for under $500.
  • jptatumjptatum Member Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Savage, Tikka, Howa and CZ give you the most bang for a buck.
  • stevecreastevecrea Member Posts: 486 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I admire your interest in the US manufacturers. You may wish to include Ruger as well. The Hawkeye has an MSRP of $803 but is probably available at somewhere around $600, and is available in 7mm-08.

I would agree with the above comments that the Tikka T3 may be an excellent consideration, although not made in the US. It is offered in 7mm-08, and unlike the others, offers an MOA accuracy guaranty. Further, this is not a hollow guaranty. These rifles were made to shoot well, with match barrels and excellent triggers. The triggers are among the best for off the shelf mid-priced rifles. These rifles have 70 degree bolt lifts, and very smooth actions, making them faster to operate.
  • godalejrgodalejr Member Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i have a 30-06 in a 114 i could not be happier. passed on the browning close and the stiff bolt 700.this was 4 years ago before anybody knew of the 114,14
  • FEENIXFEENIX Member Posts: 10,559 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Welcome! Another vote for the Savage.
  • farmerfredwoodsfarmerfredwoods Member Posts: 6 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Based on your suggestion, I looked at the Tikka and agree that it is a very nice rifle. Actually, I liked the overall fit and trim better than the Savage. Also, there were several other features in regard to the bolt, and safty swith which I liked better as well. As to the price, they are virtually the same. My one concern is that I wouldn't have the Accu-trigger if I went to the Tikka. How important is that feature. It is the only thing about the Savage that I think I like better than the Tikka. Would appreciate your thoughts. Thanks!!
    quote:Originally posted by sandwarrior
    I'd take the Savage 14 in a heartbeat any day of the week! Seriously, Savage is about the best off the shelf accuracy you will get out of a rifle.

I have shot both rifles to a reasonable extent enough to know this. Remington is good, and you won't go wrong with them. But, the Savage is better.

Edit:

I'll agree with what Stevecrea is saying about Tikka's in the last three years of working our gun club's deer rifle sight in I've seen at least 100 Tikka's and all of them have been capable of shooting 3 shot sub-MOA.
    Three years ago Tikka T-3's were the fashion. Two years ago it was the Savage 10's and 12's and a bunch of 14's. This years trend seems to be the Rem 700 SPS. Two and three years ago I was seeing some amazing groups. This last year has been good so far but not great. I've had the opportunity to shoot a bunch of these rifles. And I do feel the Tikka and the Savage are about as good as it gets for off the shelf hunting accuracy. I am looking forward to seeing how someone will shoot the newer Marlin XL-7's. I've heard they are good and for the price hard to beat. They have a fair finish inside that with a number of cycles could well smooth out.

Still, with the choice you posted, I think you have one of the best rifles you can get for under $500.
  • farmerfredwoodsfarmerfredwoods Member Posts: 6 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Based on your suggestion, I looked at the Tikka and agree that it is a very nice rifle. Actually, I liked the overall fit and trim better than the Savage. Also, there were several other features in regard to the bolt, and safty swith which I liked better as well. As to the price, they are virtually the same. My one concern is that I wouldn't have the Accu-trigger if I went to the Tikka. How important is that feature. It is the only thing about the Savage that I think I like better than the Tikka. Would appreciate your thoughts. Thanks!!

quote:Originally posted by tsr1965
    Before you take either one of those home, if your budget can afford a 700, then look at the Tikka T-3. Much better bang for the buck!

Best

EDIT 1:

I do agree with sandwarrior on the Savage. However, do not rely on the scope that comes with the package gun. those scopes are crappy, and not conductive to really good accuracy, or hunting. They can and will fog up in extreme weather.