In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Unknown Lyman sights

Matt_GMatt_G Member Posts: 10 ✭✭
edited October 2009 in Ask the Experts
Just mainly trying to figure what these are for. Any help would be appreciated.

IMG_3588.jpg

IMG_3584.jpg

IMG_3583.jpg

IMG_3586.jpg

Comments

• givettegivette Member Posts: 10,886
    edited November -1
    Look at the sights again. Collect and post the numbers on them. They [the numbers] will look like an abbreviated serial number somewhere. We can then lookup the application(s) for each sight. Best, Joe
  • joel_blackjoel_black Member Posts: 686 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The one on the left was used on a number of Winchesters.
  • Matt_GMatt_G Member Posts: 10 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I can not find anything like you describe .They both say Lyman Reg US Pat Off. The one on the left also says PAT. JULY 16.07 and the one on the right has an S on the bottom left which you can barely see in the second pic.
  • brier-49brier-49 Member Posts: 7,074 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The one on the left is a #45 used on a Winchester Low Wall.
  • HerschelHerschel Member Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The one on the right is a Lyman 48B or 48C. I can't see the graduations on the elevation knob well enough to say which. It is for the 1903 Springfield, and for the 1922, 1922M1 and M2 Springfield (.22 cal) rifles. It is the short slide version. The long slide had the elevation scale numbered to 150. Newcomers to the shooting fraternity have decided that the one numbered to 125 is the long as later Lyman 48 sights had elevation scales numbered to as low as 60 but in the 1920's the one called the long slide was numbered to 150. This sight mounted on the right side of the receiver and curved cutout on the front of the base allows for insertion of the stripper clip. I suppose the S on the base stands for the Springfield. There was a later model of the Lyman 48 called the 48S but that is not what you have pictured.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by brier-49
    The one on the left is a #45 used on a Winchester Low Wall.

How would it mount on the gun? I looked at some pics online and it didnt seem like it would work unless there is another bracket or something.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Herschel
    The one on the right is a Lyman 48B or 48C. I can't see the graduations on the elevation knob well enough to say which.

Thanks the elevation knob has 0,1,2,3 and 4 with stops in between each # also.
  • brier-49brier-49 Member Posts: 7,074 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The #45 screws directly to the right side if the receiver. And an oops it's for a low wall winder musket.
  • Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The sight on the left is a No. 53... not a No. 45. It is the sight Winchester used exclusively for the Model 87 (low-wall) Winder Musket. The No. 53 attaches to the right-hand side of the frame with (4) 6-48 screws. Winchester used this sight from 1918 - 1923.
  • Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by joel_black
    The one on the left was used on a number of Winchesters.

Actually, it was used on just one Winchester... the Model 87 (low-wall) Winder Musket.