In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Thompson Contender

cactus-mancactus-man Member Posts: 181 ✭✭✭
edited October 2009 in Ask the Experts
Hello, i bought a very
early 1st gen contender,
sweet gun, engraving, nice
grips but the trigger is frozen,
won't even wiggle.All else works
did bubba get
a hold of this pistol?

Comments

• cactus-mancactus-man Member Posts: 181 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    [/size=3Hello,

I just purchased a old Model Contender by TC, it is after 195,000 serial#. It is very stiff opening up this gun,does anyone have any thoughts about loosening this up ?

Thanks
    edited November -1
    Hello,

Can anyone explain the difference between Contender & g2 Contender ?

Thanks
    edited November -1
    Does anyone know when S/N 3066xx would have been mfg. Thanks JC
    edited November -1
    Thompson makes a barrell that fires 410 shotshells and 45 Colt. A 454 also fires 45 Colt. Does this indicate that a Thompson barrell will also fire the 454?

JC
    edited November -1
    Any one know where to get a schematic on the old style contender? This frame has been to the factory without any fixing the problem. I seem to have problems explaing to the young lady that when the hammer falls it does not hit the firing pin. hammer needs to fall 1/16 inch more to hit firing pin. Repair list that was returned stated firing pin replaced and checked ok. It does not check ok in Alabama. Anyone have suggestion of the problem. JC
    edited November -1
    Ok i know this is a beaten dead horse but I have a [?][?][?]
    about the how the fram is register I am looking at a 223 that is a rifle and will be wanting to change it over to a pistol from time to time I emailed the dealer and asked how it was reg. and he emailed me
    that with a form 4473 the FFL can check Rifle or Handgun.
    is this so or does it need to be register as a pistol from tc[?][?]
    thanks
    Taz
    edited November -1
    Ran into a guy that says he gas one in 454 casull. I can't find that in my blue book. Is he blowing smoke? If not, anyone know what it might be worth in like-new condition?

Thanks,

cbxjeffIt's too late for me, save yourself.
    edited November -1
    Just bought a Thompson Contender G2 pistol.My question is will the front hand guard fit the 10" and 12" barell or do I need to purchase one for each barell?I also would like to scope a couple of barells for it.Do the barells come pre drilled for scope.This is my 1st contender so I could use any info on it.I am going to go with the 12" and 14" barells only.Thanks for any info. Al[?]
    edited November -1
    My dad gave me this good looking pistol with a 357 barrel and the leopold scope. Sure is pretty. Not a scratch on it. How would you you rate the quality of this firearm? I'd never sell it, but is it worth anything?
  • cash777cash777 Member Posts: 213 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Should be 3 position lever, center fire rim fire safe in the middle Could this be it Dave Brownells or midway may have schematics
  • wtroperwtroper Member Posts: 736 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Many of the "custom" bbl makers also work on the frames. BTW -- what caliber are you shooting? If is one that is not rimmed, contenders can have problems (even with new factory ammo) if the shoulder on the cartridge is set back just a tiny bit. Is the firing pin denting the primer at all?

It is not unusual that the firing pin touches (slightly dents) the primer without firing it. If so, many times it is a problem with the ammo not the frame. 35 Rem ammo is a good example and misfires are not that unusual.
  • gene4570gene4570 Member Posts: 57 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I once heard that the external hammer extensions that we use are too heavy for the internal springs to carry at the proper force to strike the firing pin .Could this be you're problem ? Stiffer springs are sold as tune up kits .Good Luck
  • brier-49brier-49 Member Posts: 7,074 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    After you pull the trigger the hammer will be sitting the 1/32" from the pin this is where it rests not down all the way.
    edited November -1
    The firing pin never is hit by the hammer. I can watch the hammer as it falls. There is a block of some kind inside the frame. Tried several calibers on this frame. The factory also removed the hammet extension. The note from them indicated it was tested ok.
  • cash777cash777 Member Posts: 213 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    after gun is cocked, hold back hammer completely, while holding back hammer pull trigger to see if block is dropping down. this lets hammer go to frame --see if trigger adjustment screw is set to far and not letting gun cock -- EDIT -- I have two contender frames with the hammer block safety. After reading your post I tried both and could make them do what I believe is happening to yours. After closing and opening the action a few times it functioned normally. Maybe it needs to reset the internal parts by opening and closing the action not just by pulling and resetting trigger with the action open. I never noticed this before..Hard to believe you could return something back to the factory and still not work but I hear it happens more than once. Hope this may help Best Dave Let us know the outcome
  • dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Have you put a shell in this gun to see if it goes BANG yet [?][?]
    Contenders have a hammer that when you break it open the hammer moves away the firing pins.
    Neither of my old style frames have a hammer block.
    edited November -1
    The hammer block is what is stopping the hammer from hitting the firing pin but I can not see any to make the hammet block move down out of the path of the hammer.I have several other frames and 22 other barrels. all other frames work with this barrel that was removed from the problem frame JC
  • mrbrucemrbruce Member Posts: 3,374
    edited November -1
    If when the gun is loaded, and you just start to pull the hammer back you should hear a distinct click when the block unlatches....
    If you don't hear that slight click it will not go bang .... and you need to find the reason it don't go click so it is ready to drop away when the hammer starts down.......