In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

How to clean Bullet lube from Dies

BGHillbillyBGHillbilly Member Posts: 1,927 ✭✭
edited October 2009 in Ask the Experts
I never used cast bullets much and recently purchased a used set of dies that has a lot of waxey lube build up. What is the best way to clean that junk out, solvent, boil the die or what?

Comments

• jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    I've heard of this. I've never had a problem so I can't say for sure BUT- I HAVE cleaned out bullet sizing dies with bullet lube in them and I'm sure it's a similar process.

I start by heating in the oven on low over an old pan and letting the bulk drip out, say at 200 degrees. You could boil it I'm sure to get the same result.

I finish by spraying some solvent up into the die while still hot and wiping with a rag and using a Q tip to get into the crevices, followed by a light oiling.

Depends on the lube. Some of them are pretty tenacious, some come right out.
  • tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    To clean any of my dies I use a good break cleaner from NAPA, with a bronze brush. and a wipe down with lite coat of Tri-Flow or Break Free CLP.

Best
  • BGHillbillyBGHillbilly Member Posts: 1,927 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks, I went out to the shop and found a can of Gunk liquid wrench and it cut the old lube enough for a brush to be effective.