In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Madsen??

AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭✭
edited October 2009 in Ask the Experts
In a thread on the GD forum, a gentleman posted a picture of his .30/06 military rifle collection and asked if anyone knew of any he didn't have. I recall a post WWII newly manufactured military bolt action .30/06 rifle named, I believe, Madsen. I saw one years ago at the local gun show but couldn't think of a reason to buy it then. The few that I have seen were in new condition never adopted or issued for military use. Now that I started looking for info, I'm finding nothing. Anybody heard of it?

Comments

• AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    RMH: Thanks! That's what I was looking for. I laid awake half the night just trying to remember the NAME of it!
  • jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    Just when you think you have a representative example of every rifle you find a whole new tier.

I wonder, where did you see this post? I'd love to see it!
  • AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    jonk; It's on the General Discussion forum, the title is "Really really like the 30/06-newbies added".
  • 32 Magnum32 Magnum Member Posts: 820 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've had a Madsen MG-1 Model 58 for about 12 years. It is, without a doubt, my favorite bolt action .30-06 rifle. Exellent accuracy, recoil is well managed by the 36 little holes in the barrel muzzle break and the thick, soft butt pad. Iron sights are well thought out - hooded, adjustable pin front sight; fully and easily adjustible rear peep - very nice sight picture. Bolt action is smooth and positive and the safety, like the Mauser system, is positive and in the way when you sight - you can't forget to take it off before pulling the trigger. Weight and balance are more than acceptable.
    AND you can add a bayonet - what's not to like?
  • Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,628 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ambrose:

Thank you for the heads up on the Madsen.

Just took delivery of one, and as 32 Magnum has stated, it seems to be a very well thought out rifle.

I wasn't aware that the porting and butt pad were original to the rifle, and the safety is extremely well-done and obvious. The sights on this are also the best iron sights I've seen; the sight picture is every bit as good as the shroud and rear peep on an LWRC M6A2, for example.

The Brazilian 08/34 should arrive next week.
    Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • huffmanitehuffmanite Member Posts: 58 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Madsen company in Denmark landed a contract with Columbia for this rifle. Madsen manufactured the rifle, but Columbia canceled most, if not all of the contract, before the rifles were delivered. Sometimes in the mid 1960s, the rifles were sold in the U.S. market. In 1965 or 66, I bought mine in a department store in Houston, Tx. called Newberrys, which was like a J.C. Pennys/Sears type store. LOL, the store had about 6 of them and I certainly should have purchased more than one of them. You don't want to know what they sold for back then.
  • 32 Magnum32 Magnum Member Posts: 820 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I got mine in 1997-98 at auction for $106 - that included the buyers premium and sales tax - nobody was bidding on it and I did by instinct - the write up had the name spelled MASDEN - and I believe nobody knew what it was. I got it home looked it up and was pleasantly surprised at what I had purchased. Bought a bayonet for it about 6 years ago and paid $125. Only time I've ever purchased a blade for more the firearm.
    Come-on Huffmanite - share with us what you paid....