In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Rare Stevens 16 gauge

jrgrassjrgrass Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
edited October 2009 in Ask the Experts
I have an unusual 16 gauge i would like to find out about it if possible, might be worth some money for condition.......below is a link to see pics............
http://www.kentuckyhunting.net/forums/showthread.php?t=84565&highlight=rare

Comments

• nordnord Member Posts: 6,106
    edited November -1
    I don't think "UNUSUAL" fully describes your shotgun. I'd probably use some other adjective, but not "unusual".

You have a utility single. Even in new condition these guns are hard pressed to rise much above $100.00. I know... You'll see tags for more, but anything other than NIB won't bring those prices.

Your "stalk"... An interesting term for a stock, but maybe more descriptive than I imagined. Allow me to state that I don't wish to insult. I'll therefore just say that I find the woodwork unattractive. Boy howdy do I find it unattractive![xx(]

The stock is not original to the gun. It appears to have been fabricated out of a laminated beam by someone with more time on their hands than anyone really should.

In my opinion the combination of an inexpensive utility gun and a fabricated stock place this gun solidly in the $50.00 range. In other words the gun is worth only the value of its utility.
  • jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    I have one much the same but with a regular stock for which I paid $70. I see similar guns regularly in the $60-$100 range.

As to the stock... someone might see that and say, 'wow, it's beautiful!' and pay twice as much. Others like the first responder will think it fell off the ugly tree and hit every branch on the way down and will pay LESS because of it. And others, like myself, just wouldn't care one way or the other- if I were to buy something like this it would be for its functionality, not the stock finish. Does it lock up tight and shoot straight? Can I shoot a bunny with it? Yeah? Ok, $50. No? $75, tops. That's about how the discussion would go if I needed another one like this.
  • duckhunterduckhunter Member Posts: 7,687 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • countryfarmercountryfarmer Member Posts: 4,552
    edited November -1
    I love Stevens guns but that stock would be a downgrade for me. If gun was in top mechnical condition I would go$100 tops on it. If you find just the right person that thinks that is cool, you might get more.
  • jrgrassjrgrass Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I mainly want to see if i can find any info on the guns fabricator, might be someone well known and may have more senimental value or it could be a 1 time oddity, the guns stalk is made out of the old yellow wooden matchsticks placed one by one and glued with a clear coat finish ive had the gun for over 15yrs now and hunted a few times, it is solid no shaky parts, shell release is good, breaks down good and shoots great...but i dont want people to think im trying to make stuff up to try and sale it for high dollar..I am just trying to find info on it......stevens himself could have had this gun made that way but IDK....
  • countryfarmercountryfarmer Member Posts: 4,552
    edited November -1
    OK, one point that is bugging me............it's stock not stalk.

Onto other things, more likely the gun was customized by someone that had way to much time on their hands. I seen quite a few "redneck" gunsmith jobs that just make you wonder "WHY?".
    Most likely someone would offer above reg price for that gun based on the oddity factor. Myself would like it better if it had a nice walnut or cherry stock.

I went back and looked at those pics again, someone had a LOT of patence to go through all that trouble.
  • jrgrassjrgrass Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    One point that bothers me is.....When someone post stupid messages on here about a topic when it is not what the discussion is about, if there is no Information on the subject at hand , then dont reply...I want information on this gun not retarded opinions on who u think made it or what u think about it.........IF IT DONT CONCERN THE TOPIC THEN DONT POST
  • perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,105 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    JRGRASS you asked for opinions of value . Just because you think you have a RARE/UNUSUAL gun, Don't pull an attitude when no one thinks it is worth thousands of dollars. Penguin TU*DS are unusual in the U.S.A. but that does not make them valuable. If you don't like free answers don't ask questions. someone might think your first name is jrgr
  • RobinRobin Member Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    By virtue of this gun not being in original condition removes it from the universe of collectible guns. This would be true even if it was the type of firearm that was very collectible. Once this type of modification is done it becomes a guessing game as to its value even for folks as experienced as Nord, perryshooter and others. My humble opinion is that the modification would not add or detract from an otherwise unaltered utility single barrel shotgun But that is only my opinion.

I once owned a Crass model field grade Ithaca shotgun that someone decided to decorate by soldering/brazing Indian head pennies to the receiver. While it looked unusual for sure, I didn't consider it rare. We referred to it as "Red Neck engraving" and got at least a $100.00 worth of laughs when I showed it to folks. Finally somebody offered me the going price for a gun that wasn't modified. He was happy and so was I.

Are those match sticks glued to the stock or what? It is interesting, I'll give you that.
  • tocamohatocamoha Member Posts: 271 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    To a gun collector that shotgun is worthless.A collector of "Folk Art"might see some value in it