In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Ammo help needed

NeverAgain39NeverAgain39 Member Posts: 9 ✭✭
edited October 2009 in Ask the Experts
I hope I posted this in the right spot if not sorry. But a little about the gun in case it helps more. If pictures needed I will get some up.
My daddy bought a 357 Magnum from a friend of ours wife after he died. He had been trying to buy it off of him for a few years so now he has it. I say he got a good deal $100. What he got is a Dan Wesson Arms 357 Magnum CTG with a 6 inch barrel. It has the Dan Wesson emblem on the wood grip. After a couple of months he wanted to see what it was worth but it has no model number. I finally found out it might be a model 15. It has the vented rim on top of the barrel and back site is adjustable and where I found out about the model number they said if it was chrome it was a model 14 well this ones not chrome and since its not it's a model 15. Now he wants to keep it. The question is "What is the best self defense bullet and grain to use? If needed it was made in Monson, Mass serial number 263203. I don't know where to look up the serial number and I know some of you do. Thanks and sorry if this is wrong thread to post this. I thought telling you about the revolver would help.

Comments

• fordsixfordsix Member Posts: 8,554 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    357 ..158gr loads
  • NeverAgain39NeverAgain39 Member Posts: 9 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks any certain type or brand?
  • D@DD@D Member Posts: 4,407
    edited November -1
    Anything out of a 357mag is gona really detour any would be intruder.[:p][;)]
  • armilitearmilite Member Posts: 35,488 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Type in Dan Wesson forum and do a Google search. This will take you to the Dan Wesson collectors web site. Any questions you can find the answers there. Most likely your gun is a model 15 if it has the removable (interchangeable) barrel. As far as a model 15 being chrome yes its possible. There was a dealer in North Central Wisconsin that sent out quite a few to have nickle-chrome plated. I had one and it was a very nice looking gun so yes it is possible. The stainless steel Dan Wesson's are designated model 715. There are also some earlier versions model 12&14 as well as some guns made without the interchangeable barrels. I would go check out the site if you have any more questions. As far as a defense load I like a 140 gr.hp. I have one loaded to unwelcomed quests with some Glazer safety slugs.
  • tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The number one rated one shot man stopper is the 357 Magnum 125 grain Jacketed Hollow Point load from Federal, Remington or Winchester. In data compiled from actual street shootings, That load is rated #1, and has been such for a long time.

Best
  • beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by gary wray
    NeverAgain39..........+1 for the 125g as it has been recognized for years as the best load for the .357. But as D@D said, if the aim is correct the receiver just won't care rather it was 125 or 158...the result will be just about the same! Good shooting!

That's my take on this as well.

The .357 is just an intrinsically powerful defensive load.

I think ANY properly loaded .357 magnum round has more than enough power to do the job, working better than just about all of the "lesser" calibers (like .38, 9mm, 40, etc). If you hit the right spot, any of the various rounds will do the job. If you don't, none of them will.

The difference between the 158 vs 125 grain rounds is like the difference between getting hit by a Ford mustang at 65 mpg with one driver vs a Ford mustang at 61 mps with two passengers aboard.

Maybe on paper there's a difference. . .but on the receiving end, you're probably not going to know the difference!

Personally, I'll use whatever I have handy: CCI 158 grain hollowpoints, Federal premium defense 125 grain, Fiocci, etc. I don't waste a lot of time worrying about this.

One other thing worth thinking about is that supposedly the 125 grain bullets contribute more to revolver wear and tear compared to the heavier 158 grain ones as more hot gas leaks around the bullet and the 125 grain bullets strike the revolver forcing cones harder. For the vast majority of shooters that mostly practice with .38 specials, and only occasionally shoot magnum rounds this should never be an issue.
  • cpermdcpermd Member Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • partisanpartisan Member Posts: 6,414
    edited November -1
    +1 on tsr1965! This load is the one to go with.
  • dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In .357, the 125JHP. You also could use a good .38+P 158gr.HP in it.
  • lcdrdanrlcdrdanr Member Posts: 439 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    With the adjustable sights your blued revolver is most probably a model 15, the model 14, also blued, had fixed sights but was otherwise the same as yours.

If the revolver is in any kind of condition, $100 for it is a steal. Dan Wesson are typically very accurate, very strong revolvers with the added ability to easily change out the barrel to one of a different length or configuration. And, since the barrel is being changed, this means that if the forcing cone IS damaged, a new barrel restores the gun at a fraction of the cost of a fixed barrel gun.

Second the load choices given, find one that you are comfortable shooting and can handle and use that.

Dan R
  • NeverAgain39NeverAgain39 Member Posts: 9 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by armilite1015
    Type in Dan Wesson forum and do a Google search. This will take you to the Dan Wesson collectors web site. Any questions you can find the answers there. Most likely your gun is a model 15 if it has the removable (interchangeable) barrel. As far as a model 15 being chrome yes its possible. There was a dealer in North Central Wisconsin that sent out quite a few to have nickle-chrome plated. I had one and it was a very nice looking gun so yes it is possible. The stainless steel Dan Wesson's are designated model 715. There are also some earlier versions model 12&14 as well as some guns made without the interchangeable barrels. I would go check out the site if you have any more questions. As far as a defense load I like a 140 gr.hp. I have one loaded to unwelcomed quests with some Glazer safety slugs.

Yeah the site said if it's blued it's a model 15 and chrome was a model 14. Thanks for all the information I bookmarked this site because my Daddy and brother love deer hunting and it's one of the best sites I have found.