In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Redhawk or blackhawk

JFAHEYJFAHEY Member Posts: 35 ✭✭
edited October 2009 in Ask the Experts
I'm wondering what the differences are between these two Ruger models and the pros and cons of each. I want a big bore handgun for deer hunting that will accept a scope and isn't to horribly expensive. I'd prefer a stainless gun, but it doesn't have to be. Any advice is appreciated.

Comments

• tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    You have several options for a scoped handgun. Especially with Ruger's integral scope rings. They make a Super Blackhawk Hunter model with a 7 1/2 inch barrel, in stainless. I believe they also make it in a Bisley grip frame model. There is the standard Red Hawk, which is a double action revolver, and it comes in 5 1/2, and 7 1/2 inch barrel lengths, that have integral rings for scope mounting. Then there is the Super Red Hawk, which is the flagship model from Ruger, available in 2 1/2 inch, 7 1/2 inch, and 9 1/2 inch barrels. It is available in 454 Casull, and 44 Rem Mag, where as the previous two are only available in 44 magnum, and the Red Hawk is available in 45 Colt also.

I may suggest the 44 Magnum if this is your first big bore(some loads in the 454 Casull are very close to the 45-70 Gov't. in performance), and the Super Red Hawk would get my nod because it has more weight, and the grip frame helps control recoil more readily. My next choice would be the Red Hawk.

Best
  • BGHillbillyBGHillbilly Member Posts: 1,927 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would opt for the super redhawk in 44 mag. I have a SS redhawk 44 mag 7 1/2" barrel which with factory sights I consider good for deer out to 100yds. While I myself have not taken a deer with it, a friend of mine has. I have the Redhawk instead of a Super Redhawk only because my wife bought it as a xmas gift and did not realize the difference.
  • carbine100carbine100 Member Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    For hunting purposes, I much prefer the blackhawk. You can hold the trigger in and cock the gun silently, something you can't do with a double action revolver.
  • Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What was not specifically mentioned was the direct answer to your question...

The Blackhawk (and the Super Blackhawk) are single-action revolvers whereas the Redhawk (and Super Redhawk) are double-action revolvers.

As far as I am concerned, there are no pros & cons... just personal preference.

If I were to choose just one handgun that I could use for all purposes, it would be a Super Redhawk in .454 Casull. It can be loaded with 45 Long Colt ammo for casual plinking, and with .454 Casull ammo, it can efficiently kill any game animal on the north American continent within its effective range. With a decent scope, its effective range is 200-yards.
  • RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    +1 Bert,
    No real cons either way. Personal preference. For me its the lighter, more traditional single action and the way (for me) it handles recoil. Since I prefer iron sights my own effective range for whitetails is about 75 yards from field positions, give or take, so the .44 Mag. is more than enough gun for me.
  • wtroperwtroper Member Posts: 736 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree that it is strictly personal preference. However, I prefer the Bisley grip frame over the regular Blackhawk or the Redhawk. Thus, I would likely opt for the Super Blackhawk Hunter with the Bisley grip frame.

I have fired all of the above. All are adequate for your needs. Good luck.
  • beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by JFAHEY
    I'm wondering what the differences are between these two Ruger models and the pros and cons of each. I want a big bore handgun for deer hunting that will accept a scope and isn't to horribly expensive. I'd prefer a stainless gun, but it doesn't have to be. Any advice is appreciated.

Bert has it.

Redhawks are double action, Blackhawks are single action.

For your purposes either of the above 4 guns could work fine. They're all tough-as-nails, and you really can't go wrong with any of them.

Its largely a question of personal preference. How does the gun feel in your hand, and how do you feel about the recoil? Do you like single-action "cowboy" style guns?

I think if you are going to have the gun serve double-duty as a defensive gun (eg against bears, cougars, or humans), you'd want the double-action. Double-action is also a little easier to load and unload, though this isn't really a factor in hunting.

Also for what its worth I think (and someone correct me if I'm wrong) the blackhawks are somewhat less expensive.
  • 44shotdoctor44shotdoctor Member Posts: 178 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As a owner of a super redhawk in 71/2 and have a friend with a blackwawk. They are both excellent the only real difference is the heavy duty factor of the super redhawk. I shot mostly max loads and do not think the blackhawk would not stand up as well under those conditions. The blackhawk is not near the weapon. Also I have scoped mine and usually shot without as the thing is very heavy. If you were to take game using sticks than the scope adds alot of value at longer ranges. I get good groups at 100yds with the iron sights.
  • pwilliepwillie Member Posts: 20,253 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have the Super Blackhawk 44 mag.,and have taken two bucks,its very easy to use,no thinking,thumb the hammer,and pull the trigger.Excellent balance,with a 10 1/2 inch barrel.All stainless is a plus.[8D]
  • MichibayMichibay Member Posts: 816 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    There are two single actions sometimes available used that are GREAT GUNS for hunting! One is the Abilene made in N.Y by U.S. Arms in the 70's & 80's. The other is the Virginian Dragoon made by Interarms in Virginia about the same time. Both of these were made in different barrel sizes...but I use the 7 1/2" for hunting. They were both made in Stainless. Both have RECESSED cylinders and are top quality. They are about the size of a Blackhawk. Both were made in 44 mag. Recently, I purchased a MINT Dragoon at Gander Mountain for only $250!!! Frankly, they had NO IDEA what they were selling. The Abilene is probably a better gun. Both os these guns currently being sold on GB and are frequently available. Also a used stainless 629-4 S&W is a good gun...and sometimes reasonably priced....