In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

More Savage 14 vs. Tikka T3...farmerfredwoods

sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
edited October 2009 in Ask the Experts
farmerfredwoods,

The accutrigger is a safety device that keeps the trigger from being pulled without the safety bar being depressed first. That little piece that slides through the middle of the trigger. It's a great invention. However, as to the accuracy of the rifle it really doesn't mean anything. Savage does have good adjustable triggers, though. And, you can adjust the Accutrigger as well. I would definitely consider it a plus over the Tikka, which doesn't have one.

In the last post, I noted some edits which I didn't see before. tsr1965 mentioned not getting a Savage package with their scope. That is correct. The scope they throw on there is a $29.99 special that may or may not hold up. Not reliable enough, IMO, to warrant getting the package.

As to the fit and finish, The model 14/114's that I've seen have been pretty good. Nothing glaring at least. And, that is a walnut stock, not dark stained beech like the 110's. Most of the lower cost T3's I've seen are composite stocks and a little easier to get a tighter fit on. But that is generally true with most composite stocks. For stability, you will find that usually only the upper end composite stocks hold the truest. Followed by laminates (I know someone will disagree with that), then wood (walnut then beech in order) then lower cost 'injection molded' type composite stocks. Those things almost feel like rubber bands in extreme heat. Some improvements in manufacturing have reduced that issue though.
The ones I saw locally here with walnut stocks, ran from $629-$850. Your area the market just might not hold those prices. Remington really seems to be holding it's price well where you're at though.

Bottom line to me here is: What is the least expensive, quality for the purpose I want/need. I think a walnut stocked Savage is going to be a better deal than a composite stocked Tikka. Both are going to shoot very well from my experiences with them. The Accutrigger is a safety feature the Tikka does not have. It's not something that will get in your way or keep you from shooting if you forget about it.

-hope that helps and good luck with this choice.

Comments

• godalejrgodalejr Member Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    as always i vote for the savage gave my son my marlin 22 already have the new savage in mind...
  • jptatumjptatum Member Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Most people seem to think, including me, that Tikka triggers are really good.
  • stevecreastevecrea Member Posts: 486 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had a bad experience with the Accutrigger, but in all fairness, it may have been an isolated case. It would frequently click but not fire. My gunsmith checked the adjustment, and said that this malfunction was quite common, and that the shooter had to make very sure that he was not pulling the trigger from the side. This malfunctioning let many rockchucks escape. Can you imagine how you would react if it happened while you were big game hunting?

I know that many people love the Accutrigger. However, this is a malfunction that has never happened to me with Brownings, Weatherbys, Sakos, Tikkas, CZs, or any other rifles.
  • stevecreastevecrea Member Posts: 486 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I see several Tikka T3 Hunters (walnut stocks) listed on this site in 7mm-08, if you prefer the wood and blued version over the synthetic version.