In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

32 ACP out of a 22" barrel?

D@DD@D Member Posts: 4,407
edited October 2009 in Ask the Experts
Anyone ever try 32acp in a rifle? What type of results would you expect? I'd be using a chamber insert with a 7.62x54r cal. rifle.

Comments

• perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,105 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I hope it gets to the end of the barrel I would check the first few with a large target at close range. Very little powder/power in a 32ACP if you have a tight bore it might stop in the bore.
  • iwannausernameiwannausername Member Posts: 7,131
    edited November -1
    If you are talking about the MCACE adapters, be aware that you locktite them into the chamber and use a broken shell extractor to get them out. And then give the chamber a good scrubbing.

Read on another forum (falfiles.com maybe?) that they are good enough for plinking and maybe larger small game (rabbit, etc) to 25 yards or so...

Might be better off getting a hand held reloader and loading up a few rounds with 110grn 30 carbine bullets and a reduced powder load w/ appropriate case filler....
  • MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,991 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In a magazine article I read a couple of months ago, the writer discovered 1 of 5 shots lodged the bullet in the bore. The other four mostly missed a 12"x12" target at 25 yards.
  • beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I can't comment on the conversion never having used it.

Obviously firing a .32 though a mosin-nagant would be extremely pleasant compared to the monster 7.62x54R. You could fire the pistol round indoors or other places, where you couldn't get away with the big rifle round.

But despite what the Sportsmans guide ad claims, you're probably NOT going to be saving any money this way.

Mosin surplus rounds still cost under $0.25 each in quantity. I doubt you're going to be able to find any .32-type pistol round for better than that price.

Yes, you can reload them cheaper.

But as Iwannausername suggests, if you're going to do that, you could probably just get some boxer/brass 7.62x54R cases and reload super light loads in those instead.

In terms of diameter, .32 ACP rounds are supposed to be .309. 7.62x54R rounds are supposed to be .312. That's close enough that you shouldn't have problems, though I wouldn't expect great accuracy.
  • p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 23,916 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I used to have an adapter to shoot .32's out of an 8mm Mauser rifle barrel and it shot okay. Real quiet.
    However, the 8mm is closer to .32 than a .30 caliber rifle barrel. Find an adapter that uses a smaller pistol bullet like .30 carbine or 7.62 X 25. That would probably do just fine.
  • machine gun moranmachine gun moran Member Posts: 5,198
    edited November -1
    The pic of the chamber adapter in the link shows that it has a rim, which means that it will extract by the rifle extractor. Using loc-tite will result in a stuck adapter, and an immobilized bolt. This is an adapter, not a sleeve meant to be permanently or semi-permanently installed. In order for the adapter to remain in the chamber between shots, the rim of the adapter will have to be relieved to prevent extraction, or the extractor will have to be removed from the rifle.
  • beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by p3skyking
    I used to have an adapter to shoot .32's out of an 8mm Mauser rifle barrel and it shot okay. Real quiet.
    However, the 8mm is closer to .32 than a .30 caliber rifle barrel. Find an adapter that uses a smaller pistol bullet like .30 carbine or 7.62 X 25. That would probably do just fine.

Well to be clear, .32ACP bullets are supposed to be .309" (7.8mm). .32SW long and .32HR magnum bullets are supposed to be .312".

So-called 7.62x54R bullets are actually 7.92mm in diameter. . .that's .312", but the bores of Mosin rifles can vary from .308" - .314" depending on the exact make and amount of wear.

Nominally 8mm Mauser (or 7.92x57mm) bullets are actually 8.2mm in diameter, or .323", with later models having .323" bores.

The point is, strictly by the numbers, .32ACP rounds ought to fit most Mosin barrels just fine and be a teensy bit loose in Mauser barrels. .32 revolver rounds are a bit fatter and may or may not work better in the Mosin's depending on the exact bore diameter.

If you cared, you could always try slugging the rifle barrel, measuring it, then correlating your pistol rounds accordingly, but that seems like a lot of trouble for what will probably end up as a relatively inaccurate load no matter what you do!
  • D@DD@D Member Posts: 4,407
    edited November -1
    I knew I wouldn't be saving in ammo prices. I was just looking for a way to shoot this rifle and get used to it without the beaten. A 203gr SP out of a 22" barrel with a light synthetic stock you feel it[:p]. Thats the lightest hunting load I have found it stock anywhere. I'll probably just use the 147gr I have for practice.
  • iwannausernameiwannausername Member Posts: 7,131
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by machine gun moran
    The pic of the chamber adapter in the link shows that it has a rim, which means that it will extract by the rifle extractor. Using loc-tite will result in a stuck adapter, and an immobilized bolt. This is an adapter, not a sleeve meant to be permanently or semi-permanently installed. In order for the adapter to remain in the chamber between shots, the rim of the adapter will have to be relieved to prevent extraction, or the extractor will have to be removed from the rifle.

Yes and you notice that my reply was asking if it was the mcace adapter, which does get locktited in... d@d kindly provided a pic of the one he was/is actually planning to use.