In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Remington Sportsman 48

rob223rob223 Member Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭
edited October 2009 in Ask the Experts
will a remington 11-48 barrel fit & function on a remington sportsman 48?

Comments

• rob223rob223 Member Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Remington Sportsman 48, 12 ga., I know its an older gun, but is it ok to shoot steel shot. Thanking of my son for a duck gun.

Thanks
    edited November -1
    As a buding gunsmith(5 years full time) I haven't run into many 48's(2) to be exact.The problem is O>K> with light loads,but with regular loads one or both links will come out of the follwer . I think since the action spring tension is what holds tha locking block up in place it is letting it unlock to soon and the bolt is moving back harder and the links are coming out.Your ideas would be appreciated.
  • MichibayMichibay Member Posts: 816 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    If it's a shooter and not a safe queen...YES...YES...YES!
  • Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I disagree... Remington says NO. If the gun has an open choke you might get away with it for awhile, but you will eventually damage the barrel. If it has a Full choke, you are asking for trouble shooting steel shot through it.
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the input, it can still be used as a grouse gun.
  • asphalt cowboyasphalt cowboy Member Posts: 8,904 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There is always the option of having choke tubes installed. Then use an extended steel tube.
  • golferboy426golferboy426 Member Posts: 970 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Shoot the steel . The writer and reloading expert Tom Roster has done many studies which show no harm will come to the barrel. You Might get a slight barrel bulge if it is full choke and very large shot like BB or smaller but even that is rare. The gun is not worth a great deal anyway so shoot it and enjoy it. I've shot nearly 500 steel shells thru my Rem Model 11 with no ill effects. that gun is choked IC
  • MichibayMichibay Member Posts: 816 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    OK...a little re-trenching here...I was not aware that Remington says NO! On the other hand Golferboy brings forth info that to some degree supports my Yes. I own a MINT Sportsman 48 in 16 Ga. Frankly, I have only shot it a few times...and would never shoot steel in it. Depending on the condition & choke of your 48 and how much you plan to shoot steel might be factors as to shooting steel or not. If your hunting for ducks & geese is at issue...you might want to buy a used Remington designed for steel or something else like a Remington Express that will not set you back too much...just some further thoughts...Good Luck!
  • hedgehopper62hedgehopper62 Member Posts: 636 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have to chime in here, have loaded shot shells for 50 years.all steel loads now have a plastic shot wad that encloses the shot how does that hurt the barrel if the wad is between the barrel and shot,tks hedge[:D]
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by hedgehopper62
    I have to chime in here, have loaded shot shells for 50 years.all steel loads now have a plastic shot wad that encloses the shot how does that hurt the barrel if the wad is between the barrel and shot,tks hedge[:D]

It does not hurt the bore... but it is hard on the fixed choke. Steel shot does not deform like lead shot does when it passes through the choke, and the older shotguns were not made with the same steel alloy as the modern shotguns. Steel shot is hard... and those old barrels are not.
  • golferboy426golferboy426 Member Posts: 970 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bert is correct about the softer steels However the studies seems to show no damage will occur. I put more weight in actual studies and experiments rather than anectdotal stories or what people think might occur. Any manufacturers' statement is really more about liability than actual practice. That said the original gun is not worth much so the risk is low so I'd shoot it. If it was a higher value collectible gun I wouldn't use the steel despite the studies.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by golferboy426
    Bert is correct about the softer steels However the studies seems to show no damage will occur. I put more weight in actual studies and experiments rather than anectdotal stories or what people think might occur. Any manufacturers' statement is really more about liability than actual practice. That said the original gun is not worth much so the risk is low so I'd shoot it. If it was a higher value collectible gun I wouldn't use the steel despite the studies.

I have seen first hand the results of shooting steel shot in an older gun (a 1950s vintage A5). While visiting my local gunshop several years ago, a young fellow came into the shop with what appeared to be a prisitine condition A5... until he showed us the muzzle. He had inherited the gun from his grandfather, and took it out duck hunting... less than one full box of shells through the gun before the barrel bulged and split right at the front end of the choke constriction. Shop owner asked what shells he used, and out of his pocket came a modern steel shot loaded shell. His grandfather had not shot the gun since the early 1960s.

Moral to all of this is simple... unless the barrel is marked for steel shot, don't shoot it with such.