In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

9mm defense ammo

bikerboybikerboy Member Posts: 68 ✭✭
edited October 2009 in Ask the Experts
Whats a good defense cartridge for 9mm glock 26 [?] Everyday carry situations.

Comments

• NwcidNwcid Member Posts: 10,674
    edited November -1
    Corbon. I prefer the PoweRball version.

quote:Originally posted by bikerboy
    My question was on ammo not whether or not to buy a gun ...

And that was exactly my answer. Corbon PoweRball ammo........
  • bikerboybikerboy Member Posts: 68 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    My question was on ammo not whether or not to buy a gun ...
  • rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Short barrel = lower velocity. Go with 124-147 grain JHP bullets. All ammo manufactures make these JHP's, because of their popularity. With the nobama ammo panic, many are hard and very expensive to come by. 6 of one half dozen of the other, get what you can get your hands on. Up close and personal in serious social situations they will all do the job, with multiple hits, in the right place.
  • beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bikerboy
    Whats a good defense cartridge for 9mm glock 26 [?] Everyday carry situations.

Where you put the shots is a lot more important than which maker made the bullet.

If you start with anything in a "personal protection 9mm+P", that will get you 85% of the way there.

As to specific bullet weight, not less than 115 grains, not more than 147. 124 grain is a good choice, and most readily available.

In terms of specific brands:

Federal Hydroshok is good.
    Corbon is good (Powrball, and the regular).
    Speer Gold dots are good.
    Winchester Ranger is good.
    Others could be good.

Glocks tend to run most ammo well, but just run at least a mag or two through your gun to make sure there aren't any reliability issues.
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the info so far y'all.You must b a bosox fan beantown? I am all the way
  • William81William81 Member Posts: 25,161 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Federal 9BP 115 Gr. JHP. Low flash and recoil, long street proven record.
  • select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,446 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Winchester Ranger 127 gr +P+
  • SpartacusSpartacus Member Posts: 14,415
    edited November -1
    all ove the above mentioned are good choices. I use black talon in my emp (just because i have 'em and i like theheavier bullet) but the SXT is the same and more readily available (and cheaper).
    I also like the 124gr starfire rounds. they get used in the pm9, but gold dot, hornady,corbon are all good too.
    stay away from the "extreme shock" and other "super frangibles". all hype and $$$$
    just my 2c
    tom
    edited November -1
    Thanks for your suggestions. I am gonna try several mentioned and go from there, appreciate the input.
    Eddie
  • BeeramidBeeramid Member, Moderator Posts: 7,264 ******
    edited November -1
    Remington Golden Saber 124 gr +p.